Heart Rate Monitor Recommendation

Options
taughc
taughc Posts: 17 Member
Any recommendations for a chest strap heart rate monitor? My second Polar H7 bit the dust this morning :/

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Bummer. Is it out of warranty? I thought they had a 2 year warranty.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Skip the chest strap and get a Scosche. I've got three chest-straps, an old school Polar, a Polar Wearlink+ and a Zephyr HxM Smart. No matter what I did with the bands, washed them as instructed, didn't wash them, showered with them didn't shower with them, I had to get a replacement strap every 6 months. That got old quick. I've had the Scosche for about 3 months and it's been flawless.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I had something like a Scosche for a while, I got really tired of having to charge it constantly. I've been using my chest strap almost daily for a year and one day I'll have to pull the battery out and put a new one in, but that day hasn't come yet.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I switched from a Polar to Garmin recently and have had ZERO issues with the chest strap HR monitor. I've used it 6 to 7 times per week for the last 8 months without an issue or need battery change.
  • taughc
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    Skip the chest strap and get a Scosche. I've got three chest-straps, an old school Polar, a Polar Wearlink+ and a Zephyr HxM Smart. No matter what I did with the bands, washed them as instructed, didn't wash them, showered with them didn't shower with them, I had to get a replacement strap every 6 months. That got old quick. I've had the Scosche for about 3 months and it's been flawless.

I looked into it, but not really into an armband for heart rate monitoring. Thanks for the recommendation anyway!
  • taughc
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I switched from a Polar to Garmin recently and have had ZERO issues with the chest strap HR monitor. I've used it 6 to 7 times per week for the last 8 months without an issue or need battery change.

Hm... do you think the Garmin chest strap would work paired with a Polar or Apple watch?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Wahoo. 3 models. ANT+ and BLE 4.0

Couldn't be happier.
  • taughc
    Options

Couldn't be happier.

How long have you used it? No issues with sensors/hardware?

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    taughc wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »

Hm... do you think the Garmin chest strap would work paired with a Polar or Apple watch?

I believe the Garmin is an ANT+ device. I use it with a Garmin 920xt watch, so I haven't needed to connect to another watch. As noted above, Wahoo makes ANT and Bluetooth models.
  • stanmann571
    edited May 2017
    Options
    taughc wrote: »

Couldn't be happier.

How long have you used it? No issues with sensors/hardware?

NO issues with the hardware puck itself I think I've had it over 2 years now. In the gym, I run it in both ANT and BLE mode simultaneously synced with my Garmin Vivoactive(for logging) and my Ipad mini app for visual awareness of HR/Time.

I consider the straps essentially disposable. I've got a garmin band that has lasted about over a year, and I alternate it with inexpensive generic bands that last 3-8 months for about $6-10 per band.

In other words

This strap
    https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Replacement-Strap-Heart-Monitor/dp/B00BI9X1OO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1494597354&sr=8-3&keywords=garmin+heart+rate+monitor+strap

will last longer than This strap

https://www.amazon.com/Heart-Monitor-Replacement-Garmin-Transmitters/dp/B00U2SXACU/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1494597354&sr=8-5&keywords=garmin+heart+rate+monitor+strap

But both of them will eventually wear out. Even with proper care.

The $50-100 puck will last through multiple battery changes.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Nothing lasts forever, but I've been happy with Garmin.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

Couldn't be happier.

I am at roughly 2 years with my Wahoo as well. No issues. Pairs with phone or Polar watch via BLE and any ANT+ devices (Garmin) at the same time. I don't have an Apple Watch, but assuming it's a Bluetooth connection, it should be fine.

I have the TICKRX (I think) which will record sessions and download later if I'm not connected to anything at the time (helpful for swimming).
  • stanmann571
    Options

Couldn't be happier.

I am at roughly 2 years with my Wahoo as well. No issues. Pairs with phone or Polar watch via BLE and any ANT+ devices (Garmin) at the same time. I don't have an Apple Watch, but assuming it's a Bluetooth connection, it should be fine.

I have the TICKRX (I think) which will record sessions and download later if I'm not connected to anything at the time (helpful for swimming).

My wife always laughs when I put it on... because of the blinkenlights... She says I'm iron Man.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

Couldn't be happier.

My wife always laughs when I put it on... because of the blinkenlights... She says I'm iron Man.

It took me a bit to get used to it as some of my shirts are quite thin and seeing the blinking lights kind of freaked me out at first. I tend to look a bit like that the Oatmeal cartoon (with all the gadgets and things) when I head out so I'm just this side of bionic.
  • LostSun8
    LostSun8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used Polar for years but a few years ago I switched to the Garmin 920xt and now the Fenix 5s this week. I am still using the original HRM-Run band that I got with the 920xt in December 2014. I also never had a polar strap go bad, so your results can certainly vary. I don't find the straps at all uncomfortable and I still use them even though the 5s has the optical heart rate (I do skip the strap for my weight lifting sessions now, though). Polar and Garmin are both great companies and have very good research and technology to back up their products, so it is about finding the right product that has the features you want and is a price you are willing to pay. Since new products have come out, you can pick up some gently used versions pretty cheap. What are your goals, sports, and price limitations?