To lift or not to lift?

Options
gothicbees
gothicbees Posts: 18 Member
2 days ago I worked on my legs and have been sore since then. Yesterday, I trained my upper body to give my lower half some rest. I am currently underweight and trying to put on some muscle right now and do not know whether it will be ok to train my legs again today or if spin biking would be a better option. Thoughts? Thank you!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I would. Usually my leg soreness evaporates after a couple of warmup sets of squats.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Typically speaking, the more often you do something, the less soreness you get/have. Or, at least, you start to recover from it better/quicker. If you only train legs once a week, it'll take muuuuuuuch longer for you to get that recovery adaptation, if at all.

As such - yes, more legs. Go light at first, like Gallowmere mentioned, to get things warmed up and loosened some.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    A good warm up will do wonders! I also recommend you get in the habit of foam rolling and mobility work. Take care of your connective tissue, learn to tell the difference between soreness and pain, and avoid getting sidelined with injuries. I wish I did that when I first started lifting.
  • MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm in the habit of biking to the gym whenever I can, ESPECIALLY on days my legs are sore. By the time I get there I'm usually feeling good enough to crush a workout. So I'm going to echo everyone above, maybe you need a good warm up routine? Google some dynamic stretches and give that a try.

I also find the soreness hits me the day after the day after. So maybe you can plan your workouts around this idea and do a three day routine?

Just suggestions, I'm still finding my stride in the gym as well. Just remember, if its not pain just soreness, you're doing something right! Keep up the good work.
  • LostSun8
    LostSun8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Even if you are underweight, cardiovascular health is still important.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    gothicbees wrote: »
    2 days ago I worked on my legs and have been sore since then. Yesterday, I trained my upper body to give my lower half some rest. I am currently underweight and trying to put on some muscle right now and do not know whether it will be ok to train my legs again today or if spin biking would be a better option. Thoughts? Thank you!

Based on your previous posts, your current BMI is very underweight plus you have an obsession with restricting calories and overexercising. So, you should not be spinning at all, and should probably not be exercising at all unless your dr gives the ok. Exercising more is not the solution to putting on weight in your situation
  • loftus4827
    loftus4827 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bro... c'mon now. You know the answer - you're in the bodybuilding forum.
    Pick up heavy things. Put them down. Repeat. Follow with copious amounts of tasty macros.
    Repeat
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Warm up well and lift.

Also, eat more. I noticed that when I was eating more my Dom's weren't too bad, even when I was increasing my lifts every time.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    loftus4827 wrote: »
    Bro... c'mon now. You know the answer - you're in the bodybuilding forum.
    Pick up heavy things. Put them down. Repeat. Follow with copious amounts of tasty macros.
    Repeat

this.

I lift weights for strength training.

For cardio, I lift them faster.
  • Trace_1961
    Trace_1961 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    No more than 2 heavy lifting day in a seven day period. They need time to recover and build. It just don't happen over night.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If your legs are sore because they worked, I would lift. If they're sore because you injured them, I wouldn't. Allow a minimum of 1 day rest between, with 2 days between sometimes (3 lift days for the same group a week is perfect, more is not recommended).
  • EatPaleoLiftLots
    EatPaleoLiftLots Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    If your legs are sore because they worked, I would lift. If they're sore because you injured them, I wouldn't. Allow a minimum of 1 day rest between, with 2 days between sometimes (3 lift days for the same group a week is perfect, more is not recommended).

Agreed. I do arms/upper body 3 days a week with a day in between each, and leg days tues/thurs with Sunday as a rest day. Your body needs to recover to get stronger, but lift like a motha on exercise days.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Lift. Full body 2-3x per week works well. It's ok if you're still sore. Just keep a day in between for recovery.