Adjusting my settings

meghannicoleee13
meghannicoleee13 Posts: 13 Member
edited May 2017 in Getting Started
Hello everyone! I've been using MFP for about two and a half weeks and have lost five pounds so far. I had my settings adjusted to lightly active because I am barely ever sitting down and I exercise around three to your times a week. I had it set to lose 2 lbs per week. And MFP gave me 1400 calories to eat am 5 feet and 8 inches and need to lose 40 to 50 more lbs. Is this an okay amount of calories to eat? Or is it too much?
Feel free to add me!

Replies

• LostSun8
    LostSun8 Posts: 15 Member
    That sounds good. Are you using anything to track your activity or just estimating. I see you have a very young child, which can amount to a good amount of activity right there.
    It sounds like you are on track, so far.
  • stroudkr
    stroudkr Posts: 2 Member
    I'm new and wondering the same thing. I'm 5' 1" and weigh 184.6. I've been using MFP and following a low carb diet for about 10 days now and have only lost 1 lb. The app gave me 1470 calories as a goal and I'm wondering if that's too high. I'm am 66 years old although I don't feel or act my age. Lol. I am lightly active and go to the gym 3-4 time a week. Maybe I should stay off the scales to keep from getting frustrated? I know 1 lb a week is about right but would have thought I would have lost more then that in the first week.
  • Cathietc
    Cathietc Posts: 66 Member
    stroudkr wrote: »
    I'm new and wondering the same thing. I'm 5' 1" and weigh 184.6. I've been using MFP and following a low carb diet for about 10 days now and have only lost 1 lb. The app gave me 1470 calories as a goal and I'm wondering if that's too high. I'm am 66 years old although I don't feel or act my age. Lol. I am lightly active and go to the gym 3-4 time a week. Maybe I should stay off the scales to keep from getting frustrated? I know 1 lb a week is about right but would have thought I would have lost more then that in the first week.

Are you following low carb or Keto? I ask because I am following Keto and for the first couple of weeks of I found it better not to worry about calories, but to concentrate on my macros. Once I felt I had a pretty good handle on them, I started lowering my calories.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Hello everyone! I've been using MFP for about two and a half weeks and have lost five pounds so far. I had my settings adjusted to lightly active because I am barely ever sitting down and I exercise around three to your times a week. I had it set to lose 2 lbs per week. And MFP gave me 1400 calories to eat am 5 feet and 8 inches and need to lose 40 to 50 more lbs. Is this an okay amount of calories to eat? Or is it too much?
    Feel free to add me!

It's more likely too little than too much. You may want to eat back some of your exercise calories. You don't want to drop that cute little one or faint while you're driving him (?) around because you're weak or faint from undereating. Or even just be spinning your wheels in those workouts because you're not fueling yourself sufficiently.
  • stroudkr
    stroudkr Posts: 2 Member
    Not sure I know the difference between low carb and keto but I've been trying to do a low carb. I have been eating small portions for a long time now but made up for it by eating sweets and I love my milk (2 percent) and got in the habit of drinking a glass right before going to bed. When I started the low carb about 10 days ago I completely cut out all sugar and the milk and all starches (no potAtoes, pasta or bread). I have more energy and my tummy is flatter but no significant weight loss. The scales show almost a 3 lb loss the first 3 days but I gained back 2 of those and the scale hasn't budged since. Sugar cravings are gone but very frustrated that I haven't lost more weight. I've only been using MFP for 3-4 days and have kept my carbs within the goal the app set for me. I have a friend who is doing a keto diet and she is drinking some kind of drink that she also sells that is supposed to put you in keto sis within and hour but it costs about 160 per month and not sure I could justify the cost even if it works. Lol. What's has been your experience on keto?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Not sure I know the difference between low carb and keto but I've been trying to do a low carb. I have been eating small portions for a long time now but made up for it by eating sweets and I love my milk (2 percent) and got in the habit of drinking a glass right before going to bed. When I started the low carb about 10 days ago I completely cut out all sugar and the milk and all starches (no potAtoes, pasta or bread). I have more energy and my tummy is flatter but no significant weight loss. The scales show almost a 3 lb loss the first 3 days but I gained back 2 of those and the scale hasn't budged since. Sugar cravings are gone but very frustrated that I haven't lost more weight. I've only been using MFP for 3-4 days and have kept my carbs within the goal the app set for me. I have a friend who is doing a keto diet and she is drinking some kind of drink that she also sells that is supposed to put you in keto sis within and hour but it costs about 160 per month and not sure I could justify the cost even if it works. Lol. What's has been your experience on keto?

those drinks are a bunch of crap. save your money, and if you are doing low carb you still have to be in a deficit of calories to lose. are you weighing your food on a food scale? as for gaining weight back it could be water retention for one reason or another. if you arent weighing food you could be eating more than you think you are. Its easy to do as food packaging can be off by up to 20%,fruits of the same size can vary in calories,same with any other food. but you have only been using mfp for a few days give it some time and see what happens in a few weeks, if nothing is working then if you dont already weigh food,get a food scale.its a real eye opener
  • Cathietc
    Cathietc Posts: 66 Member

I've been following Keto for 75 days now. It is low carb/high fat/med. protein. Some low carb plans are higher protein than fat.
    I don't have any special drink for Keto (not even at the beginning). Doing Keto I try to keep my macros to 5% carb/70% fat and 25% protein. Ketosis will come naturally usually within 1.5 -2 weeks. A friend of mine needed to get her sugars and a few other issues under control and asked me to do this with her and we started the end of February. I won't say it has always been easy, but it hasn't been as difficult as I thought it would be, and I'm loving the results so far. (75 days in and 45 pounds off)
  • meghannicoleee13
    meghannicoleee13 Posts: 13 Member
    Feel free to add me!

It's more likely too little than too much. You may want to eat back some of your exercise calories. You don't want to drop that cute little one or faint while you're driving him (?) around because you're weak or faint from undereating. Or even just be spinning your wheels in those workouts because you're not fueling yourself sufficiently.

Awesome. Does 1600 sound better, losing 1.5 lbs per week? Most of my exercising consists of home exercises and barely any cardio. I do walk when it isn't raining (here lately the weather has been crappy).