Your favourite %macros ?

Options
13»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    lige00 wrote: »
    50% fat, 30% carbs, 20% protein. This is the way that I've always eaten, through years of tracking, including a pregnancy and several years of weightlifting. It seems to very much agree with me.

I mean if you want to get even more specific, it's more like 44% fat, 29% carbs, 19% protein, and 8% ethanol, except during the pregnancy when it was the straight 50/30/20 above.

And experimentally determined TDEE for me right now is 1966 kcal/day.

Very Low carbs how do you manage it?
    How healty is a ketosis diet?

@lige00 Generally speaking Low Carb is <150 grams of carbs daily.

Nutritional ketosis typically can start at <50 grams of carbs daily.

Very low carbs in the minds of many are 10-20 grams of carbs daily.

Most any diet can be healthy if one is getting all the protein and fats required along with a source of needed vitamins and minerals.

As you noted above we can convert protein to glucose as required by certain body parts and why eating carbs are optional for humans to have good health.

Now the jock types that are living on a high carb diet will see a hit in performance until they transition from burning carbs (glucose) to burning fats for their main energy source. That transition may take 3-12 months.

I wanted to move to nutritional ketosis to see if it would fix several long term health issues. Not being a jock type it was about a year before I felt stronger eating <50 grams of carbs daily.

My first major hurdle in my case was breaking my addiction to carbs that I never knew I had. After a couple hellish weeks in Oct 2014 of not giving in to my 40 years of carb cravings they faded fast and still have not returned as long as I keep my carbs just <50 grams daily most of the time.

Low carb is not like a religion to me but it is just good for me health marker wise, etc. Last weekend there was a lot of fresh fruit starting to spoil that others had others had packed in so I ate a boat load of strawberries, grapes, kiwi, oranges and bananas. Yes it knocked me out of nutritional ketosis and I gained two pounds of water weight that comes with eating more than 50 grams of carbs daily but fresh produce can contain good stuff other than carbs that the body needs.

Most any diet can be healthy as long as one is getting the required protein and fats needed. I shotgun it with Life Extension Mix Capsules to make up a more balanced diet but I am not suggesting that others do the same.

When I finally hit upon a Way Of Eating that worked for my body it let me know my WOE made it happy in many ways. Yes I do change my way of eating from time to time. When I have a craving for more protein I eat more protein for example since intuitive eating is back online in my body at the age of 66.

Remember we are all different on the inside and have different eating needs. There is no MAGIC macro that fits all but based on my experience you will know it when you find your macro that works like magic for you.

Best of continued success.
  • lige00
    lige00 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Precious Infos thanks all
    Anyway, imo, <20g carbs is something insane, and I don't think could be so healty! Moreover I think <100g carbs is very low, may be you don't call it a ketogenic diet, but during the day your liver will produce ketones from fats and prots catabolism to take energy.
    I prefer 40-50% carbs, cycling according with activity
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    When I was cutting I liked 35% Protein 45% Carbs and 20% Fat. It worked pretty well.
  • LostSun8
    LostSun8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm another one that looks at grams, not percentages. For me that is 100-120 protein, under 100 carbs, the rest fat.
  • LostSun8
    LostSun8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nice! How many kcal/day?any sport/activity?
    I like fruit too,but I know that too much fruit sugar is bad, because it makes blood glucose and insulin go high, and too much fiber causes bloated stomach and bellyache. When I want to lose weight, I don't eat too much fruit with high fruit sugar (grapes, bananas, mangos, cherries, apples, pears and kiwi fruit) and I include more vegetables in lieu of the high-sugar fruit!
    What do you think about my opinion?

If your body is not used to fiber, you may have some tummy issues at first, but you will adapt. Fiber is good for you.

However, like you, I don't eat a lot of high fruit sugar either.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Precious Infos thanks all
    Anyway, imo, <20g carbs is something insane, and I don't think could be so healty! Moreover I think <100g carbs is very low, may be you don't call it a ketogenic diet, but during the day your liver will produce ketones from fats and prots catabolism to take energy.
    I prefer 40-50% carbs, cycling according with activity

The person you quoted gave you percentages, not grams. If you calculated the grams from the percentages they gave you it was not even under 100g carbs.

Who says under 20g carbs, or low carbs, is necessarily healthy, or healthier than more carbs? There are lots of ways to eat a healthy diet, lots of which include carbs in high amounts.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Also carbohydrates are not even an essential macronutrient.
  • somora120
    somora120 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    5% Carbs, 35% Protein, 60% Fat
    Keto macros
  • goldcoastgirl78
    goldcoastgirl78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    70%fat 20%protein %10 carbs. If I hit a plateau I may adjust it by going 80/15/5 for a little bit than switch back
  • lige00
    lige00 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Changing my macros from 50carbs20fat30prot
    To 40%30%30%.
    To much carbs before (200g).