Healthy mac 'n' cheese?

Options

Replies

• hellhammer
    hellhammer Posts: 45
    Options
    It might sound weird but kraft diner is quite healthy in fact check the label
  • reagansmom05
    Options
    i make baked mac n cheese and the original recipe [2C cheese] is totally fattening and high cal. but i made it the other day using the kraft fat free cheese and slightly lower cal pasta [i just compared real quick in the store] and fat free milk. it cut the calories down so much that i was able to eat the leftovers for lunch, a big bowl with sliced tomato on top for under 200cal.
  • elana1987
    elana1987 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome - thanks!!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

400 calories and 600 mg of sodium per (tiny) prepared serving, almost no fiber, processed fake cheese, preservatives, and artificial colors. . . .

If that's your "healthy" I'd hate to see unhealthy :(
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bump! Oh my how I've been craving Mac & Cheese. I will go check out Gina's Skinny taste & Healthygirl!
  • laurstarks
    laurstarks Posts: 35
    Options

400 calories and 600 mg of sodium per (tiny) prepared serving, almost no fiber, processed fake cheese, preservatives, and artificial colors. . . .

If that's your "healthy" I'd hate to see unhealthy :(

no kidding. the thought of kraft mac & cheese makes me feel like i've gained 20 pounds instantaneously.
  • ecaz
    ecaz Posts: 115
    Options
    sorry - Double post
  • ecaz
    Options
    I dont know what is wrong with this thing
  • ecaz
    Options
    Triple post!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ecaz
    Options
    Ok this is crazy
  • ecaz
    Options
    I'm not sure if there is a "healthy" mac and cheese. But you can certainly find some that are less of a disaster than others. Here is my favorite...so quick.

Boil 2 oz of elbows (Ronzoni Smart Taste is what I use)
    Nuke a box of Green Giant Broccoli and Cheese sauce

When both are cooked, just mix them together. There is enough cheese sauce to cover the macaroni.

If you eat the whole thing:

Calories 300
    Carbs 73
    Fat 9
    Protein

Total: 300 73 9 14 1 417
    Per Serving: 150 37 5 7 1 209
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    bump....because if there is I need to make it!
  • nmclaurin
    nmclaurin Posts: 43
    Options
    Trader Joe's has a "reduced gulit" mac and cheese that tastes awesome. The whole package is 270 calories and tastes great.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Dream Fields Pasta?
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is a repeat, but for VEGANS or non-vegans alike.. a low cal no fat mac and cheeze:
    You can make this dish creamier by adding Earth Balance margarine. Try it the low-fat way first, and if you need it to be richer, add a little margarine to taste. This recipe is also low in sodium, so salt-lovers may need to add salt.

1 pound pasta (regular or gluten-free)

Blend together:
    1 1/4 cups water
    1 cup plain, fat-free soymilk (may use other non-dairy milk)
    3/4 cup nutritional yeast
    3 tablespoons cornstarch or potato starch
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    pinch cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons tahini
    1 teaspoon mellow white miso (or additional salt)
    black pepper to taste

Put the pasta on to boil, according to package directions. While it’s cooking, blend all remaining ingredients together in a blender. When the pasta is al dente, drain it, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking water, and return the pasta to pan. Add the sauce mixture and cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens. Add a little of the pasta water if more moistness is needed.

If the sauce is not as flavorful as you’d like, add a little more mustard and onion powder.

Note: My daughter likes her macaroni a florescent yellow, so I usually add more turmeric.

Makes 8 servings. Per serving: 303 Calories (kcal); 4g Total Fat; (10% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 54g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 316mg Sodium; 5g Fiber. Also, if you use nutritional yeast fortified with B-12, one serving provides 100% of the daily requirement of that vitamin.
  • SaddyPants
    SaddyPants Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has a "reduced gulit" mac and cheese that tastes awesome. The whole package is 270 calories and tastes great.

I'm glad to hear this! I bought some when I was at TJs the other day and I haven't tried it yet.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The "light prep" of regular old Kraft is not that high in calories. I don't think I'd call it healthy but if Kraft dinner is what you crave...
  • HeatherYevette
    HeatherYevette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The Amy's brand organic frozen mac & cheese is an ok choice :) My husband and I will split a 9 OZ box for a side dish. 205 calories isn't too bad for a splurge :)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

I'm glad to hear this! I bought some when I was at TJs the other day and I haven't tried it yet.

I need to try this too, that was always a quick and easy meal for us (need to figure out a good replacement protein to add too since we used to do hotdogs... )
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump