That delicate word

Options
Experiencing constipation since I started this journey six weeks ago. Suggestions?

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Magnesium, 350 mg before bedtime.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Probably your higher protein intake vs water and fibre. Most effective to make sure you hit your fibre goal for the day. I've found an easy way to do this is some Fiber One cereal. Green beans, lentils etc. are good at this too and much better for you. Fiber One is really more like a supplement for when you didn't get enough.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much fat are you eating?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    When I did Atkins I had that problem, especially at first when my carb intake was at its lowest. We ended up taking fiber pills, which mostly did the job. Now that I'm just watching calories, I eat fruit and grains so don't have as much of a problem.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Take the 10 day fruit and vegetable challenge, it'll clear you right up :D
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    All the above + chia seeds.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to list the things that worked for me:

Magnesium- citrate and/or oxide seem to work best. Take on an empty stomach before bed.

Psyllium husk powder

A teaspoon of coconut oil in my first cup of coffee in the morning.

Plenty of fibre, fat and water. I make sure i have a minimum of 30g of fibre everyday, and a minimum of 60g fat.

I used to be on a medication that caused severe constipation, so i have tried just about everything! And the above are my reliable go to's.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Increase fiber and fats. Also make sure you're getting enough magnesium.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    If all the above fail, Miralax also works. Magnesium usually works like a charm for me, though.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. Have to magnesium and Miramax most days.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    +1 for psyllium husk powder. I take 5ish grams a day to help hit my 25 g of fiber.
  • Jriggs46615
    Jriggs46615 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Fiber.
    In case you didn't realize this, you can change your macro settings, so you can monitor your fiber intake easily. The last couple of years, my sugar intake has been on the lower end, so I removed the sugar column and put fiber in its place. It helps to keep me on track.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Fiber as stated. I prefer to get mine via fruits and vegetables. A few good options are spinach, kale, zucchini, broccoli, raspberries, apples, oranges.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water and eat lots of fruit and veggies, but occasionally ...

I can usually get things moving by ...

-- taking 2 chewable Vit C tablets
    or
    -- taking 2 magnesium tablets instead of just one
    or
    -- eating a small handful of salted almonds.
    or
    -- going for a long bicycle ride and then having pizza for dinner.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Everything that was suggested above - also rice bran and sugar free gummies (look on Amazon) to get things moving so you don't get too backed up.

I bought 2 lbs of them and marked them "laxative! - do not eat" and put them away on a high shelf away from the family's treats. I started out with three and increased by three each day until things started to move. Also - plan on spending more time in the bathroom - take your kindle or iPad and play games or something. The more you stress about it - the worse it seems to get (to me any way).

Today was the 1st time going (normally) and I almost cried.

What finally worked for me was putting plain psyllium (BRM) / rice bran (BRM) in my smoothies, drinking it again at night and doing the magnesium (Natural Calm) in the morning and the gummies in the afternoon.

Also - look into adding more probiotics (I add extra to my yogurt), fermented things like miso paste, and things like butyric acid when you eat high protein meals.

Hugs - I know you're miserable. <3