Intermittent fasting

Options
Hey, I've been counting my calories and macros with myfitness now for just over 70 days ! I've started intermittent fasting for the last 3 weeks I do 16 hours fasting and 8 eatting for the most part sometimes more sometimes less ! I've really cleaned up my diet for the first time in my life, I've lost 17lb so and have another 30lb to go! I've also started the stronglifts 5x5 the past 3 weeks. Would like to get some advice on training and diet of some like minded people ! I'm 40 years old and 219lb at the min !

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yay to finding something that works for you! I'm eating for 6-8 hours most day too.

Eating in an 8 hour "window" is just following a normal eating pattern, though. After all, you sleep for 8 hours, and then you fast, and not eating for four hours before bed and four hours after you wake up isn't really anything special. You're still eating what you need, and you can still eat whatever you like. But having a meal pattern that is easy to stick to, and possibly a cool name for it too, is great for adherence to calorie allowance, which is what creates weight loss.

Congratulations on your loss so far! And good luck on the last "leg"!
  • Davelfc08
    Davelfc08 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply and encouragement!! Are you long on IF ? Do you find it good for weight loss/ muscle gain ?
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    My eating started to evolve into that a little less than a year ago. I'm in maintenance, but CICO applies to weight loss and gain and maintenance alike; to gain muscle you need a calorie surplus and resistance training and adequate rest.
  • Davelfc08
    Options
    Believe it or not I'm 40 and have only started to eat healthy and excise now ! So I'm hoping I can gain muscle and lose weight at the same time am I been to hopeful? Have you any advice ? I really appreciate it !
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    The basic premise is that you can't lose weight and build muscle at the same time - but there's something called "noob gain"; as in, you can expect some improvement, but nothing spectacular, without a more dedicated resistance program and cut/bulk cycles. I don't know anything about this (I'm just an average middle aged lazy little lady, lol) - you will get more specific answers in the Fitness and Exercise forum. But you'll sure improve your overall health by eating better and being more active if you've had a bad diet and being completely sendentary.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Advice! Use periods. Congratulations on your weight loss, your counting calories, and your weightlifting. Carry on.
  • Davelfc08
    Options
    Jeromebarry1 what do you mean by periods ?
  • FlattoPhat
    FlattoPhat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No advice, just congrats on your weightloss!