Net Calories

(i'm sorry in advance - I'm sure people have asked about this but I can't find it)

Goodness gracious I am so confused. I weigh about 154 (last time I weighed in) about 5'8" ish. I have my goal set to 2 pounds a week weightloss so my calories are set at 1200 a day. but then like today I burned over 600. And i've eaten a little over 1000. So...should my net calories be closer to 1200?

Replies

• youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Yes, that's the logic.

If you're just starting out, you can play around with the numbers. I don't eat back my exercise calories; some people do.

Also, you didn't ask about this, but ... getting your calories burned number is tricky unless you're using a heart rate monitor. The machines in gyms are not calibrated, and the info in MFP's database is very generous.

Hope this helps!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,111 Member
    If you're on a 1200 calorie a day plan, you should try and eat at least some of your caloriea back, otherwise you will burn out quickly. Try eating back 50% for 4-6 weeks and see if your weight loss matches your expected rate per your settings, if it's higher eat more, if it's lower eat less.

MFP is designed with the intention of you eating the extra calories as it doesn't factor them into your calorie goal. By not eating them you are putting yourself into a bigger deficit that could leave you malnourished.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,337 Member
    Set your Goals to "Lose 1/2 pound per week." With as little as you have to lose, you are being much too aggressive with the deficit.

Eat until your numbers reach 0 at the bottom on your food page. So in your example,

Food goal = 1200
    Exercise = 600
    Amount to eat = 1800 total.
  • Molly_gets_fit26
    Molly_gets_fit26 Posts: 8 Member
    Yes, that's the logic.

If you're just starting out, you can play around with the numbers. I don't eat back my exercise calories; some people do.

Also, you didn't ask about this, but ... getting your calories burned number is tricky unless you're using a heart rate monitor. The machines in gyms are not calibrated, and the info in MFP's database is very generous.

Hope this helps!

I use my Fitbit Charge HR for calories burned :) thanks!
  • Molly_gets_fit26
    Molly_gets_fit26 Posts: 8 Member
    Ah okay I was so wrong then. Thank you everyone!!!