Protein advice please help!!!

roselee2014
roselee2014 Posts: 17 Member
My calorie goal is 1,780 & I usually burn 400 just with my daily evening workouts. On the Macro scale I never reach my protein goal. Needing suggestions on high protein foods. Thank you!!!

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    What foods are you currently eating?

Good sources include:
    Eggs
    Any lean meat
    Yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Protein powder to supplement/make up the shortfall

I start most days with a couple of eggs and Greek yogurt. That'a about 25 grams of protein (depending on the yogurt) for breakfast alone.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    peanut butter, egg, greek yogurt and meat. If you want to keep calories low, protein shakes. Too add variety to them, mix in blender with all sorts of stuff including:
    1. peanut butter
    2. fruit (especially banannas, strawberries, and blue berries)
    3. Greek Yogurt
    4. Switch up the milk, cow, soy, and almond
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    edited May 2017
    fish - cod, tuna or salmon
    eggs
    beans
    yogurt, milk
    lean beef
    lean turkey or chicken
    cheese
    nuts and seeds
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    If you open your diary, people could give you more specific advice based on what you are already eating.

However, generally speaking, and I hate saying it because it is my least favorite meat, but chicken breast is an easy option to add protein. It is basically fat and carb free. You can bake a bunch at once and add it to everything (soup, pasta, salads) or snack on it at the end of the day if you are low. Or find a low carb protein supplement that you like (powder or bar). Finding a protein product that you like can be hard, though, so try buying samples if you can.
  • zukerman
    zukerman Posts: 2 Member
    I'm vegan and I get an average of 140g protein a day, no meat, no fish, no eggs, no dairy.
    How then ?
    Vegan protein bars is your answer, they are essential to me personally, they take away my craving for something sweet and they are rich in protein, stick to those with the least ingredients.

Cheers.
  • roselee2014
    roselee2014 Posts: 17 Member
    Thank you friends for all the replies it helped tremendously!!!
  • gt0186b
    gt0186b Posts: 78 Member
    Eat Bison rather than beef if you can. It is leaner and has more protein than beef.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    In addition to those mentioned above. Lentils, & edamame beans are great. You can also get powdered peanut butter at many stores including bulk stores that is high in protein but not fat. 2 Tbsp of this will get you 6 grams protein at only 45 calories, whereas 2 tbsp of regular peanut butter would be 8 grams protein and 200 calories.
  • neilhoopy
    neilhoopy Posts: 280 Member
    Add protein powder to oats or
    Scoop of Strawberry protein 1 banana..1 egg 2 egg whites..nice protein packed pancakes
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,942 Member
    This thread links to a spreadsheet that lists foods by protein efficiency (most protein for fewest calories). It's gold. Just find foods you like on the list, and eat more of them.

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    You can look at my diary. When I eat 1800-2000 calories I get over 150g of protein without trying. I get about 140-150 on 1500 calories easily as well too.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    You can look at my diary. When I eat 1800-2000 calories I get over 150g of protein without trying. I get about 140-150 on 1500 calories easily as well too.

can I ask how? I struggle with this and I do add protein powders most days, I gotta watch my fat/sat fat/cholesterol intake and I cant deal with a lot of meat/veggies.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    My calorie goal is 1,780 & I usually burn 400 just with my daily evening workouts. On the Macro scale I never reach my protein goal. Needing suggestions on high protein foods. Thank you!!!

can you try to eat the protein it gives you before exercise? I have the same issue after exercise but sometimes on a good day can get my protein in before exercise
  • bbell1985
    edited May 2017

can I ask how? I struggle with this and I do add protein powders most days, I gotta watch my fat/sat fat/cholesterol intake and I cant deal with a lot of meat/veggies.

I get no calories from breads/grains. So I eat a protein bar, a can of tuna, a tub of fage, and 5-6 oz of meat at dinner. I had 6 servings of egg whites for a pre-dinner snack. lol. Bingbamboom

ETA: My protein is actually too high. I'm trying to bring it down because my fats are low.
  • Zengrizzly
    Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member
    Protein powder. ISO Pure is really good. Tastes good, can get in zero carbs.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

I get no calories from breads/grains. So I eat a protein bar, a can of tuna, a tub of fage, and 5-6 oz of meat at dinner. I had 6 servings of egg whites for a pre-dinner snack. lol. Bingbamboom

ETA: My protein is actually too high. I'm trying to bring it down because my fats are low.

I rarely eat bread and grains. not a fan of tuna anymore.Im about burned out on yogurt lol. the meat I may be able to do and the egg whites. but thanks
  • bbell1985

I rarely eat bread and grains. not a fan of tuna anymore.Im about burned out on yogurt lol. the meat I may be able to do and the egg whites. but thanks

Egg whites go a long way. And tuna, yeah. There's only so much you can do. I mean I should probably chill with it a little. I just got back into a deficit this week and it's helpful to me.

I get burned out on food after awhile. I eat the same thing for months then switch it up. The yogurt is adding 40g of protein to my day right now lol. I eat 450 grams.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

Egg whites go a long way. And tuna, yeah. There's only so much you can do. I mean I should probably chill with it a little. I just got back into a deficit this week and it's helpful to me.

I get burned out on food after awhile. I eat the same thing for months then switch it up. The yogurt is adding 40g of protein to my day right now lol. I eat 450 grams.

wow yeah thats quite a lot. dont think you need that much lol
  • bbell1985

wow yeah thats quite a lot. dont think you need that much lol

Well I know. But I like that much.
  • paigele
    paigele Posts: 123 Member
    chia seeds 4 g protein per 2 tbsp. cottage cheese 13 g per half cup, quinoa 8 g per cup
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    eggs and chicken