Say Nay to Fast Foods!!

Options
MissyFit08
MissyFit08 Posts: 274 Member
Okay, I've decided I want to nix fast food for just 2 weeks, I was tempted to say a month but let's start small :laugh: . Only to get me in the habit of not eating out so much...(edited to NOT include Subway) :bigsmile:

Who else wants to do it with me? :flowerforyou:

I'll bet not eating out will help with our weight loss and improve our dinner making skills, eh??

We can post our frustrations :grumble: , triumphs :bigsmile: and confessions :sad: in this booth for support!

So let's get rolling! Whoopwhoop!!

Replies

• mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    I`m in! 2 weeks... could be hard LOL but here goes nothing!
  • MissyFit08
    Options
    I`m in! 2 weeks... could be hard LOL but here goes nothing!

Alright!! You're brave to do this with me. :smile: Whoo-hoo!!
  • ClareWorsey
    Options
    I used to eat out a lot, but since doing the calorie counting, i have only eaten out once, as we were on a day out with family. I find that taking a snack with me when i go out, stops me buying out :)

Good Luck!!
  • hotcheeto2005
    hotcheeto2005 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I havent had fast food since i started dieting in december 2009, and that definitely was the biggest helpful thing to loosing weight. Im so used to not eating fast food now because of all the healthy things i fill my diet with. I will never go back to fast food. When you think about it and how its cooked and all the fat thats in it, our body's just dont need it :) I say cut out fast food forever :D
  • Allistermark
    Options
    Do we have to count Chik-fil-A as fast food? McD's, Wendy's, Taco Smell etc are all easy to say no to, but I can't fight the urge to "eat mor chikin..."
  • MissyFit08
    Options

Thanks! I didn't do my homework... :blushing: haha...gonna go edit that. :laugh:
  • MissyFit08
    Options
    Do we have to count Chik-fil-A as fast food? McD's, Wendy's, Taco Smell etc are all easy to say no to, but I can't fight the urge to "eat mor chikin..."

uhh...CFA qualifies as fast food....sorry boo! If it has a drivethru and most of the food is fried it qualifies:smile:

Eat Less Chikin from Chic-fil-a!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options

Subway... while still fast food is one of the more healthy options out there... What is interesting is the link you posted here has the word "opinion" in it. In other words it is an opinion piece... Not fact.

Of course mayo and cheese add extra calories. Of course it is high in sodium! It is lunch meat... The sodium would be the same at the deli counter in your local grocery store.

There is a difference between making the right choice and the wrong one but if I was given a choice between a 6" turkey sub, all veggies, no cheese, plain mustard.... (that's what I get) and a Big Mac, I would pick Subway every time.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fast food (well, Chik-Fil-A waffle fries about three times a year), but you have my full support! Go and be badass!
  • MissyFit08
    Options
    Well, it's Friday and I haven't had any fastfoods yet! I was tempted a couple times but I just passed the place up! yay me!
  • GenerationD05
    Options
    I haven't had fast food in a while, except for Subway... but I look at it also as a healthier option. I had a 6 inch roasted chicken today with sweet and green peppers, spinach and honey mustard and split apple slices with my fiance and had water and it came to less than 400 calories. Besides today, though, I have had fast food in months. Not eating fast food is pretty easy for me so I'm in. I'll even stop future purchases at Subway if it's included!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea! I haven't had Fast Food in years! If you get a chance, watch the documentary Super Size Me. Or even Food, Inc. Both documentaries are eye-openers. And while I don't know if I agree with everything in each of the documentaries, its still pretty interesting and makes you think a little more about what you are putting in your mouth.
  • GenerationD05
    Options
    Morgan Spurlock came to my college my freshman year so for one of my classes we were assigned to watch the movie before we went to see him (I even bought his book and had him sign it, got a picture with him too!). The one thing that will ALWAYS stick out in my mind from that movie is at the very end when they put a McDonald's hamburger in his office and hid it there and he didn't realize that it was there for about a year and when they opened it, it looked pretty much the same. That alone swore me off of McDonald's for the rest of my life haha.
  • msmith5251s
    Options
    I am in!
    No fast food for two weeks.
    :] This will help with my lose 10 weeks in Aug. challenge.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I really can't stand "fast food". Never thought I'd hear myself say that. As a kid, I love it. McDonald's fries were the best!

But when they switched to non-hydrogenated oils to cook their fries in, they started tasting extremely bitter to me. My wife said the same thing. I think the problem is the non-hydrogenated oils don't keep as well as they hydrogenated stuff, and goes bad quicker, and they don't change their oil out frequently enough. To me, fries were the big draw.

About the only "fast food" I like anymore is Five Guys. But I've given that up as well. Maybe once a month we will eat out. We'll have to see.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Subway is just like anything else....make good choices. no one says that you have to load it up with everything that is terrible. counting calories and other is work, just like exercise...you actually have to apply yourself to the goal you hope to obtain.

back on topic, since i found MFP....i have stopped eating fast food. it all bad! ive changed my sub at subway to a veggie sub, and honestly i perfer it now to the turkey or other meat sub.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    The only time I eat fast food is when I'm out with other people and my only option is to eat fast food (or starve). But usually I try to convince them to go somewhere like Subway or Tim Horton's instead.