Watching Your Weight On Vacation

Options
I am determined to watch my weight on vacation. Just because I am on vacation does not mean I am entitled to eat everything in sight.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    When I go on vacation, I eat more and I'll have stuff I don't usually have like donuts and more frequent desserts etc.

But when I go on vacation, I also exercise a whole lot more than usual. :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    When I go on holidays, food is always part of the experience - if I'm visiting a new country, I want to experience their food culture too. I don't watch what I eat necessarily, but I do have "rules"....

I tend to avoid breakfast - I skip breakfast at home normally, it gives me more calories for later.

I don't eat lots of stuff that is standard, normal food. I won't splurge on stuff if it's something I could eat at home. I try to save my indulgences for special stuff, or culturally diverse stuff. (so if I'm eating at a restaurant or cafe and there's nothing great, I'll choose something lower cal)

I try and be active - our holidays generally involve walking everywhere, and using public transport as little as possible. Or doing fun activities.

That said, I dont track, or worry about what I'm eating. I go somewhere to enjoy the experience and its not likely I'll get to go there again(we like visiting new places!).
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I only go once a year on vacation so I don't want to restrict. I prefer to lose whatever I gained after.
  • aldavid18
    aldavid18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I only go once a year on vacation so I don't want to restrict. I prefer to lose whatever I gained after.

Yup, me too. I don't go way overboard, but you're on vacation to relax, have fun, and enjoy. And dependent on your vacation, especially if you more active, you may burn a lot more calories to compensate. Have fun!!!!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm so aware of not wanting to gain a bunch of weight when we go on vacation that I've actually lost at least 5lbs on every trip we've ever taken. I wouldn't track now (I wasn't doing MFP back then) but I would still be aware of choices I'm making. And like someone said, if I can get it at home I'm less likely to eat it on the road. We also do a TON of walking/hiking on vacations so that really helps on the CO part. For me, I look forward to the guaranteed weight loss of vacation. :)

I should add (bc it makes a difference), we travel predominantly by motorhome so the bulk of our meals are not eaten out which helps a lot. They are way more processed then we normally eat at home which does increase the calories quite a bit but not eating in restaurants the entire time really helps. We eat out probably 25% of the time when we're on the road.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I find I tend to be more active on vacation than sitting in front of my computer at work.

But I also tend to avoid overeating by swapping meals. If I want that amazing ice cream sundae then that will probably be my lunch for the day.

I'm off to Italy next week. My plan is to run and walk trails on the island for the morning, then enjoy a long lunch with friends and wine, beautiful seafood, then sleep in the afternoon and a lovely dinner.
  • M1ssdanni
    M1ssdanni Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Your on holiday. Enjoy yourself that's what they are for.
    Holidays and special occasions I do not even think about calories or what I'm eating / drinking.
    It comes off quickly whatever I gained after.
    Have fun!
  • stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my vacations and don't worry about tracking. That being said, because the goal is to make a lifestyle change NOT go on a diet, I tend to naturally make better choices anyway. Usually the choice entails eating less as opposed to refusing delicious foods.

Either way, once vacation is over, go back to your normal tracking and don't look back. Just focus on enjoying yourself. That's what vacations are for!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I usually lose weight on vacation. I stick to mostly eggs/protein for b'fast, sandwich/wrap for lunch, normal dinner (snack on almonds or fruit if I need snacks btwn meals)...and limit to 1 beer every other day. I usually walk a TON, which helps.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I will splurge on regional specialties while on vacation, but as others have said, I get more activity in also. And yes, I track. If I don't have a good cell signal or WiFi (like when camping, or at the Outer Banks islands) I will track on paper, or at least take a photo of my full plate so I can officially track later. I still enjoy, and tracking helps me stress less, because I know I'm not going completely off the rails. Camping vacations are easy to stay on target though, because you bring most of your food with you.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I don't track on holiday and I just come to terms with the fact I'll have to lose 3lbs of fat... not personally worth it for me to spare a kitten on holiday but I get it!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    i use to gain 7 or 8 lbs on vacation, now it is about 2. not going to restrict too much on vacation but do a lot better than I use to, I watch it.