Considering a fitbit to use with MFP. Anyone currently using these together? Does it work well?

Options
Reaver_P90X
Reaver_P90X Posts: 7 Member
Hey everyone,
Im currently running 5 days per week and weight training 3 days per week. MFP is awesome for tracking my caloric intake but im looking for a more accurate way to track my caloric burn. (Especially when weight training) Im researching the fitbit trackers and wondering how well they work in conjunction with the MFP app. Does your info auto update ect? Any help here would be most welcome!

Replies

• ericawebdev
    ericawebdev Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When you sync the fitbit with the app (on your phone) it automatically updates myfitnesspal with the number of calories you've burned above what myfitnesspal expected. There's a group for fitbit users with more info and there's a good thread in there at http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1 Hope this helps.
  • Reaver_P90X
    Options
    Thanks erica, appreciate it!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Fitbit probably will not help much with tracking calories from weight lifting. Nothing that I know of is very accurate for that. Most people seem to just log the lifting without adding extra calories back for it.

For running i found runkeeper (free app also compatable w mfp) and fitbit to be very close in estimated burns.

I have a fitbit and find it helpful in tracking general activity. It was eye opening for me at first as some of my activities I thought were more significant than they are, and things I was discounting were a good bit of activity. Generally I am a fan, but based off your post I dont think it will give you what you are looking for that you cant get for free.

• Reaver_P90X
    Options
    Interesting, I think you are right. I went and bought a fitbit charge 2 this afternoon. All the reviews i saw b4 my purchase said that hard weight training seemed to stress out the tracker and give inaccurate readings. Although I havnt tested it yet my expectations are pretty low at this point. Im still looking forward to a more accurate idea of how the rest of my daily routine effects my goals. Maybe i can squeeze some more productivity out of my day! Thanks for sharing your experience with fitbit and insight.
  • Aldomas
    Aldomas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello Reaver,

I bought a Polar A300 fitness tracker watch and a Polar H10 HR sensor (chest strap) when I started up just recently, hoping that they would do for me, exactly what you have in mind for yourself. Maybe not at the same intensity, though. (There's certainly no P90 in my username.) :smile:

The idea is that when you log an exercise, even weightlifting, using HR monitoring, you get a better idea about the number of calories being burned. I sync the polar to mapMyFitness during workouts, and mapMyFitness to myFitnessPal. I also sync the polar to myFitnessPal to capture the rest of the day much like the fitbit does - to get my calorie adjustment. (I was worried about the apps double counting the workout, but apparently they are pretty smart apps.)

So, if you can wear a chest strap during your workout, this may work for you. It seems to be working for me so far.

Good luck.

• Reaver_P90X
    Options
    This too is awesome advice! It makes sence that a chest strap monitor would be better able to handle the stress of a harder workout. Not much of a hastle to wear it just for weight training as well. I am also glad to hear this is working for you! MFP definitely has an awesome community full of great ideas and information.
    Thanks Aldomas