How do you cut back on sugar

Options
I am trying to cut back on sugar, but I find it is in everything. Urgh. Even organic greek yogurt flavored has a lot, and so many things have high fructose corn syrup. What do you eat to cut back on sugar? I am going to try one more time but it seems as if I carve it way more when I try to cut back. But I notice a gain in weight if i eat too much, like yesterday had cookies and candy big mistake but I got way too hungry, and bam up two pound this am. Any suggestions!

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    just remember not all sugars are created the same. it sounds like you know that HFCS is bad, but natural fructose is actually not so bad since fruit has fiber in addition to the sugar. i reduce refined sugar by not consuming products with refined sugar... (except ice cream! LOL) but fructose and naturally occuring sugars like in milk and yogurt, are just fine. you mentioned greek yogurt... i used to get mine plain and add stevia and cocoa or cinnamon and it was VERY tasty... so you can try that as well. i also make my own oatmeal from plain and use stevia to sweeten it up.... keep it up!
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Try switching to mainly whole foods. Fruits, vegetables, lean meats, chicken (organic or natural some contain a lot of sodium), FISH!! Natural plain yogurt, whole grains such as oatmeal, barley, quinoa.

Another thing to remember, most of the NON processed foods are on the outter rim of the grocery store. Try to stay awa from the iner aisles. Thats where the processed foods are. Of course, you can get peanut butters and condiments on these aisles, but try to stay away from them for the most part.

Also, things like ketchup contain a lot of sugar so be careful of those.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Cut out the man made carbs and your sugars will drop. Getting your sugars from fruit and veggies is much better then Coke and pasta
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    I am trying to cut back on sugar, but I find it is in everything. Urgh. Even organic greek yogurt flavored has a lot, and so many things have high fructose corn syrup. What do you eat to cut back on sugar? I am going to try one more time but it seems as if I carve it way more when I try to cut back. But I notice a gain in weight if i eat too much, like yesterday had cookies and candy big mistake but I got way too hungry, and bam up two pound this am. Any suggestions!

One more thing, those two pounds you say you gained were more than likely not from the sugar. THat's probably water or other metabolic processes. You can fluctuate 2-4 lbs/day. Weigh-in only once a week or once a month.
  • DoctorWhoFan
    Options
    Sugar is sugar is sugar. All sugar is sugar. An easy way I have cut down on my sugar intake is by limiting my carbs to a maximum of 100g a day. I have done this for the past week and the maximum sugar I have hit is 30g without trying.

Most low-fat foods have tons of sugar in to make up for the taste. So beware of those. Also, opt for fruits that are lower in sugar such as berries and eat more vegetables rather than tons of fruit. And cow's milk, whole, semi-skimmed or skimmed all have sugar in. So beware from that.

Hope this helps :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't grow on a tree, from the ground or have a face you don't want to eat it. You could go over on sugars from fruit but that isn't a bad thing.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    If something needs to be sweetened (like my plain oatmeal for breakfast) I use honey and some cinnamon and will soon also use organic blackstrap molasses (just have to get to the store and get it). I also use sugar in the raw on occasion.
  • spinaddict4life
    spinaddict4life Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks I do not buy a lot of processed stuff anymore or drink juice, do eat fruit and peanut butter though. So I am goign to try to eat natural sugars and less processed. So eating whole grain carbs are good though right?
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm currently eating very low sugar and that means I'm getting all my sugars from fruits and veggies. It's difficult but I feel soooo much better when I cut out the sugar. Cutting out most processed foods means I'm cooking more, but I like to cook! More energy and less cravings for junk. Step 1 is just not buying it and having it in the house. When I go out to eat I check the website and decide what I'm going to have based on their nutrition guide.

I try to have a bunch of easy to grab things in the fridge--currently I have a few different meats, string cheese and cheddar sticks, and lots of veggies. Last night when I got the late night munchies instead of going for ice cream or something (which is still in the house, but we're not going to buy any more) I had 2 celery sticks, a green pepper, and 1/2 a cup of grape tomatoes. The tomatoes tasted so amazingly sweet!
  • spinaddict4life
    spinaddict4life Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic I should say. But I have been chasing the same 4 pounds for months they leave and come back. I can not seem to find the right balance. Trying to decide on the right level of carbs.
  • jschm947
    jschm947 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I up my protein I crave a lot less and am not as hungry as fast. :)
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Thanks I do not buy a lot of processed stuff anymore or drink juice, do eat fruit and peanut butter though. So I am goign to try to eat natural sugars and less processed. So eating whole grain carbs are good though right?

Yes, whole grains are good for you. You should get whole grains everyday.
  • hannahbaby417
    Options

Look for Fage 0% Total greek yogurt. If you only do half of a serving it's only a few grams of sugar. I add between 1/4-1/2 cup of raspberries and blackberries, with some almond slivers and it's an amazing low sugar breakfast.
  • hannahbaby417
    Options
    Also, drink unsweetened almond milk. Very little sugar. Use stevia or truvia for an alternative sweetener.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut back on sugar as well... I already use stevia, it's a GREAT alternative! I've also cut milk out of my coffee/tea, though I do still have it if I'm having cereal or just to drink.
    Unfortunately I keep getting iced coffees from Tim Horton's.... my total downfall!!