Funky, metallic taste in my mouth

Options
Has anyone else ever experienced this? Lately it tastes about like I have been chewing on tin cans. I am aware that this is a common side effect of Ketosis, but I do not restrict carbs at all as far as dietary regimen, only calories.

It has only been happening the last couple of weeks and I have tried to narrow it down to any possible changes made during this time period and I can't come up with much. I am doing significantly more cardio now instead of just weights, but that is pretty much it.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Have any idea what may be causing it?

Replies

• jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Very strange indeed, maybe you should have some blood work done. I had that from Ketosis like you mentioned but only then. Maybe its some type of mineral imbalance or dietary change. dunno man sounds crazy tho
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Did you start any new medication? B/c I get that gross metallic taste from one of my medications.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Nope, I am not on any meds.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Do you have metal fillings in your teeth? Is it possible that your not consuming enough water to stay hydrated enough? I know this sounds weird, but I have a few fillings in my molars that I swear I can taste the metal sometimes when I don't drink enough water.

Otherwise, I'd try to talk to a dentist and eliminate the possibility that you have a tooth infection or something. I've heard that can sometimes cause a metallic taste as well.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Do you have metal fillings in your teeth? Is it possible that your not consuming enough water to stay hydrated enough? I know this sounds weird, but I have a few fillings in my molars that I swear I can taste the metal sometimes when I don't drink enough water.

Otherwise, I'd try to talk to a dentist and eliminate the possibility that you have a tooth infection or something. I've heard that can sometimes cause a metallic taste as well.

ahh that is a smart suggestion
  • emar831
    emar831 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I get sinus infections I get a metallic taste in my mouth. My husband has had it happen when he had an infected tooth even though he had no pain.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else ever experienced this? Lately it tastes about like I have been chewing on tin cans. I am aware that this is a common side effect of Ketosis, but I do not restrict carbs at all as far as dietary regimen, only calories.

It has only been happening the last couple of weeks and I have tried to narrow it down to any possible changes made during this time period and I can't come up with much. I am doing significantly more cardio now instead of just weights, but that is pretty much it.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Have any idea what may be causing it?

You can get into ketosis while still having carbs.

Not a medical person so I may get some terms wrong, but here is my understanding.

Ketosis is when the liver's glycogen stores are low enough that the release of glucose from those stores cannot meet the demand requested by the glucagen released from the pancreas (in response to lower blood sugars).

Because the blood sugars are low and the easy store is not available, the liver creates the keytone bodies to get energy from the fat stores.

If you have already run down your glycogen stores over time and are in calorie deficit, you will spend time in ketotis once the sugars from the carbs are worked out of the system (between meals and during sleep). More muscle from strength work and increased cardio means the energy demands of the body may be higher than perviously expected (hence longer in ketosis the state).

Also check out other posters suggestions of inadequate hydration and nutrition imbalance.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I doubt this is it, but I had that and discovered it was my toothpaste. I tried several with no results then switched to a natural toothpaste and it went away. It had to have been a chemical in most toothpastes. I use natures gate toothpaste.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Ive had it from dehydration and not eating enough.

• 1LonelyRose
    1LonelyRose Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Everyone on the the forum wants to help with advice I'm sure, but you should really seek the help of a medical professional to find the cause. A metallic taste in your mouth can be indicative of a number of problems that a simple blood test can solve. Good luck and be well.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It maybe has something to do with the electrolyte balance in your body. If you've amped up your cardio, you may have depleted your sodium.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Your wife is trying to kill you. Sorry I had to break the news to you. RIP in peace, OP.

Seriously, though. It could be about 30 different things. I second the dentist and sinus suggestions simply because of personal anecdotal evidence.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're pregnant ;)
  • JustRobby1
    Options
    **Update**

Thanks for the input guys, as I think I now have it figured. I bought a blood Glucose & Ketone testing kit yesterday on a hunch based upon a response above (20 bucks at Walmart). I tested myself when I woke up this morning and it seems as though I am indeed in heavy Ketosis, despite the fact that I eat plenty of carbs everyday. I am guessing that the increase in cardio is burning through my reserves more rapidly.

Though I guess this is not necessarily a bad thing or something I need to adjust my routine for. After reading several "bad breath" posts on low carb related forums elsewhere, about the only thing I can do is drink more water, brush my teeth more often, eat more carbohydrates to delay the onset and carry around some breath mints.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Rob, what's your average daily carb total look like?
    I'm able to maintain ketosis pretty easily even up to 50ish g carbs. If you're averaging 100 or less per day, along with your workouts it's very possible.

Brushing your teeth and/or mints might help (I know a lot of people like those listerine strips). It's actually from your exhalation, not your saliva so.
  • JustRobby1
    Options
    I have never really paid much attention until now to be honest, but after reviewing my diary entries for the last couple weeks, it looks like I am in the 110-130 range per day, give or take.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Morning breath! Haha
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Do you have allergies? Sinus issues? Those along with medications are the most common causes of a metallic taste in the mouth. On the scary side of the spectrum, it is also an early warning sign of Parkinsons and Alzheimers.

I suspect it is something in your sinuses. You can have a sinus infection without being stopped up and sneezing, etc
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    As noted above, you need to see a Dr. just in case.