Very hungry is this ok?

Hi all

Long time MFP follower here so far lost over 80lb I've been at this 12 month in June.

I've always stuck to my calories with the odd off days (Christmas, birthdays etc) and I ever feel guilty cos life's short!

But today I am super hungry for no reason, I've eaten filling protein rich foods and I'm still starving! Is it okay to change my Cairo maintaince just for today? Would I still possibly see a loss next week? Anyone else do this? As in getting to my last 24lbs to lose I really want to be a litttle (not too much) relaxed at weekends is this dangerous thinking?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Hi all

Long time MFP follower here so far lost over 80lb I've been at this 12 month in June.

I've always stuck to my calories with the odd off days (Christmas, birthdays etc) and I ever feel guilty cos life's short!

But today I am super hungry for no reason, I've eaten filling protein rich foods and I'm still starving! Is it okay to change my Cairo maintaince just for today? Would I still possibly see a loss next week? Anyone else do this? As in getting to my last 24lbs to lose I really want to be a litttle (not too much) relaxed at weekends is this dangerous thinking?

If you're eating at maintenance for 1 day it's not going to make much difference in the long run.

I eat out often at weekends and occasionally get up to maintenance, I've still seen an average 1lb per week loss.

What is your weight loss rate set at? Perhaps you need to review it and drop it down a little.
  • loulouowens
    loulouowens Posts: 103 Member
    Thanks for the reply. I'm set at 1lb per week and am pretty much okay with that. But not today! I could eat the entire contents of the fridge. It's not helping that I've not been able to go running (knee injury) and feel pretty blah

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Hi all

You'll be fine eating at maintenance for one day. You might see a loss during your weigh-in, or it might come a few days later. You said you've been at this almost a year, have you taken a diet break at any point? If you find yourself having more and more hungry days, it might be worth it to give your body a break for a week or so and eating at maintenance, then getting back to it. just make sure you calculate your maintenance as not including your exercise since you are healing from an injury, you don't want to inadvertently put yourself in a surplus.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Congrats on your loss. As you head into the last 20 lb, .5 per week is recommended. It gets very hard to maintain a higher deficit sand get adequate nutrition and energy. You also don't want to start lifting muscle due to too large a deficit. Something to think about.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    That happens to me sometimes too. Not sure why. I just temporarily eat a little more. It can be a good idea to may sure that the extra you're eating includes some extra vegetables and plenty of water or low calorie drinks, not only extra protein.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Happens to me, too. I definitely eat more those days. It doesn't seem to affect the scale least more than 1-2 days.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    You've lost 80#, you know what you're doing. Eat!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I too have occasional days where I'm ravenous. I eat over my target but just try not to go on a complete binge. Maybe you should take a 1-2 week diet break before tackling the last 24lbs. Just try keep it all intentional.

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited May 2017
    You have been in a deficit for a long time.
    sounds like it is time for a 14 day diet break. This isn't eat whatever you want. it's 14 days at maintenance to reset hormones that drive hunger etc. This happened to me at week 33 of straight deficit. Ready to eat my arm off even tho the same calorie count had been no problem. It was really a hunger like I've never experienced. Search for forum for the sticky on Diet Breaks and see if it's right for you.

Anyhow I ended up in a 6 week maintenance break and feel much better. Now ready to see if can drop to 10%bf (male). about 14% now.. ish

• loulouowens
    Thank you all for your helpful replies. I have had breaks during the past year. 2 week at Christmas, 2 week holiday, 3 days at Easter etc I've not been on it for 12 month solid , would have drove me mad!!!
  • loulouowens
    I'm now starting to think about maintaining for life, what will that be for me? Scary

I've tried every diet going, why didn't someone tell me years ago it's all about CiCo!!! Could have saved years of torture for myself.

MFP has changed my life. I've let myself eat at maintaince yesterday and it felt like so much food!

On a side note I suffer with really thin hair and it's getting worse, could this be because I've been at deficit for so long?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I'm now starting to think about maintaining for life, what will that be for me? Scary

I've tried every diet going, why didn't someone tell me years ago it's all about CiCo!!! Could have saved years of torture for myself.

MFP has changed my life. I've let myself eat at maintaince yesterday and it felt like so much food!

On a side note I suffer with really thin hair and it's getting worse, could this be because I've been at deficit for so long?

Too big a deficit, sure. Also thyroid issues, anemia, iodine deficiency, other deficiencies - get thee to a doctor for testing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Hi all

Where are you in your menstrual cycle? When my appetite spikes premenstrually, I eat at maintenance for a few days.