protein powder <3s almond milk

Options
clrrrr
clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
I don't usually make protein shakes, but I decided to today after my workout to hold me over until a splurge-type lunch out, so I wanted to keep it low-cal (but still delicious, obviously). Lately my obsession is Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze (<3 Hungrygirl.com); I've been drinking it in my coffee, but now I know that it's also the perfect liquid for a protein shake--flavorful and creamy but SO low-cal. I used:
1/2 scoop 100% Whey Vanilla
2/3 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze
1/2 banana
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey's)
Vanilla Extract to taste
It was delicious, and the stats were:
162 cals; 19 carbs; 3 fat; 16 protein; 9 sugar; 4 fiber.
Almost all of the carbs/sugar came from the banana, which I will definitely be omitting or swapping out for a lower-GI fruit in future experiments. I also really want to try the almond milk in oatmeal (nom).

Replies

• JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I LOVE that kind of almond milk! You'll find it's GREAT in baking as well, and cereal!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I love almond milk. I use the unsweetened chocolate in my shakes. :)
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yeah, chocolate almond milk with chocolate protein powder rocks!
  • texasrebel83
    texasrebel83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk now! I use it in oatmeal, cheerios, smoothies, choc. protein shakes, and I will even drink it straight if I'm craving milk. I prefer it more than regular milk now.
  • hotcheeto2005
    hotcheeto2005 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i love almond breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk!! its the only milk i drink! well..that AND sometimes so delicious coconut milk. creamy and smooth just like almond milk. i usually have the almond milk with my banana protein shake, but i didnt think to add unsweetened hershy powder! i will definitely try it!
  • polarduke
    polarduke Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use a slight variation on this shake that is just delicious and cuts the carbs down to just a few.
    1 scoop of Chocolate Whey Protien (no sugar added)
    1 cup of Almond Breeze unsweetened plain Almond Milk
    Bunch of crushed ice
    2 table spoons of Thai Kitchen Organic coconut milk
    I think this mixture is only 192 calories - I usually have it as an after-workout drink.
    5 carbs, 12 fat, 19 protien - perfect for a low-carb diet
    Keeps me full for at least 60-90 minutes.