My B-day is in 2 1/2 weeks...

Options
JamieCroyle
JamieCroyle Posts: 109 Member

I'm going to my brother's for my birthday. We are going for seafood. What to order ? Any ideas other than shrimp or salad those 2 I know will be ok ? What else do you like ?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Seafood is generally low cal just stay away from creamy stuff and share a dessert!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Any grilled fish with veggies will work
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Avoid creamy sauces and crumbed/battered/fried food.

Then again, if you want to splurge on your birthday, go for it!
  • MileHighFitness
    MileHighFitness Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Birthdays are a great cheat day!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Restaurant salads can be more fattening than other menu items. If the salad is a giant pile of cheese with nuts, fruit, and creamy or oily dressing, it can have way more calories than a regular entree. The same goes for shrimp - shrimp alfredo in a mess of grease is fattening, and so are fried shrimp.

White fish are low in calories, and fatty fish such as salmon are higher calorie but also very nutritious. Stay away from fried stuff and creamy stuff in favor of grilled or baked and eat reasonable portions and you should be good to go.

One thing I like to do for eating out while on a diet is to look the menu and restaurant reviews up online and pick what I want in advance and log the calories. Then I know what I want to splurge on, and what probably isn't worth it, and don't have to make rush decisions. For example, if this restaurant has everyone on Yelp saying the fried fish or the chocolate cake is the best ever, you may decide it's worth a cheat day. On the other hand if everyone really loves the blackened red snapper (much lower calorie) you don't have to feel deprived for picking the low cal option, since you know it's good.

Have a happy birthday!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Cake

Enjoy it, it's once a year. Get back on track the next day.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I always take a diet break around my birthday so I can enjoy the day without worrying about sticking to my deficit. Honestly, one special day is nothing in the long run. Eat what you want in a reasonable amount.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday.... Calories don't count on your birthday! ;)
    Indeed :drinker: