Plantar fasciitis..

Options
How long will this uncomfortable pain will last. When it first happened I did a lot of calve stretches, and now my calves are not tight like they were. I've also done a frozen water bottle roll.
Is there anything else that can be done?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You don't want to hear. Mine took months.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have it in my arch. Wearing an arch support helps.
  • Msjournie
    Msjournie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I put my tennis shoes on and start to walk, it hurts so I take off my tennis shoes and just wear my sandals. This is horrible
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I left mine untreated for about a year. I don't know why, it just happened that way. I guess I kept figuring it would just go away or heal. Nope. So I then dug into actual treatments. Started cortisone shots (about 2x/year), a foot brace to sleep in that kept my foot flexed, and custom orthotics. That took about a year for my foot to recover. Sorry....there's no "set time" for repairing this, it depends on what you do and how you treat it. If you do the right things, it may only take months. If you deal with it half-heartedly, it may take longer. And, solutions are different for everyone.

Good thing is that I figured I'd be stuck wearing orthotics forever, and never be able to wear unsupported shoes like flip-flops ever again, but I am pretty much over it. Other than I still have to be careful. Going barefoot is for VERY limited and short occasions, but I can live with that.

Good luck. I wouldn't wish PF on my worst enemy.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Shoe inserts can help.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Try Voltaren gel before putting on your shoes.
  • Msjournie
    Msjournie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!

So the weird thing about my foot is when wear sandals (which is all the time) yes my foot hurts but not too bad tolerable.
    I put tennis shoes on and I feel like I'm gonna die of pain.

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Msjournie wrote: »
    Thank you everyone!

So the weird thing about my foot is when wear sandals (which is all the time) yes my foot hurts but not too bad tolerable.
    I put tennis shoes on and I feel like I'm gonna die of pain.

Oh, the other thing, probably most important. PF limited my walking/hiking, etc., and it was that time period where I gained most of the weight I had to lose, which then started my MFP adventure. I WISH to holy h#!! I had really focused on figuring out some other exercises to do instead of my usual walking or hiking. Gave those up, and the pounds packed on. Be very careful. Bike, lift weights, watch your calories in...WHATEVER doesn't hurt, do it. Again, good luck!!!
  • vickiwagner
    vickiwagner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with plantar fasciitis for 1.5 years. It's absolutely horrible. I have tried everything. Cortisone shots, insoles, stretches, physical therapy, ibuprofen, Hoka shoes and minimal shoes. I feel like it is somewhat better now that I bought Foot Wakers on Amazon (comes with a video). Also, I just tried prolotherapy with a naturopath and she stated she has seen good results with it. I would try the last two methods. Good luck.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I roll mine on a golf ball or massage it with my fingers. Golf ball is the best I've found though.
  • dahliacats
    dahliacats Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sometimes wearing a shoe with a higher heel will help with the pain as it takes the tension away from the heel/ shortens the achilles tendon. Keep doing the stretches long term and remember to do them every night before bed, as tendons tighten up during sleep and inactivity. For me, wearing different shoes with an inch higher heel did the trick and continuing to stretch keeps it from coming back.
  • cyndblackburn
    cyndblackburn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I rode horses consistently, the pain wasn't as bad; I think this was because the boots I wore every day (Ariats) had incredible support in the arch. Also, when you ride, you have to sit with your heels down, which stretches the calf muscles. Sadly, I'm too heavy to ride right now, but I would advise looking into getting some Ariat clogs/shoes or paddock boots. You can also check out an English tack shop like Dover to see if they carry the inserts. I've bought them and put them in all my shoes. :)
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    Msjournie wrote: »
    How long will this uncomfortable pain will last. When it first happened I did a lot of calve stretches, and now my calves are not tight like they were. I've also done a frozen water bottle roll.
    Is there anything else that can be done?

I got myself over it in 2 weeks. Roll your foot over a ball, any ball, as often as you can to stretch out the muscles in the bottom of the foot. It hurts at first, but will feel much better as the muscle lengthens. I used a golf ball. Most say to use a tennis ball.
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Had to get a night time splint. I wear it about 2-3 hrs 4 times a week. It helps but there is still a dull ache each morning when I get out of bed. I hope this suggestion helps.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You might want to try

A) swimming regularly - that sorts my PF quickly and keeps it at bay. And good for you in so many other ways...

B) and/or 'hanna somatics' (google it) if the stretching approach does not work

Lots of 'tense/use muscle then glide ie relax muscle' in good technique swimming - might be why it works, similar to hanna somatics?

The balls/stetch/arch approach didnt do it for me....
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just recently went to a running store and got fitted for shoes and that helped so much.
  • BiscuitBisquick
    BiscuitBisquick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    PF is a huge pain in the butt, but here are a couple things I did to relieve the symptoms:

1) Light leg stretches morning and night. The goal is to gently relax and soften the tightened muscles that are causing you pain, so you shouldn't do anything extreme. Ankle exercises are good too, but again, be gentle.

2) After a shower or a nice Epsom salt bath, use cold packs on the affected areas. This helped so much with my PF and tendonitis.

3) Go see a speciality shoe seller and get the right fit for your feet. Old and ill-fitting shoes often make PF worse.

4) Take it easy for awhile. You shouldn't have to give up activities you love, but be gentle with yourself. PF takes time to heal.

That's about all I know. When I went into the doctor to get my PF looked at, they were barely any help at all. So my at home care plan took at least a couple months before the pain started to go away, but I haven't had a problem with it since.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Cortisone shot definitely helped. Mine got better after I cut back my distance and started replacing my shoes every 3 months. Look into Vionic orthoheel sandals. They're the bomb.
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I rolled my foot over a tennis ball or a frozen bottle and stretched out my calves regularly...also used a night splint...
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I ended up at the podiatrist who put a arch under my foot and taped the foot . The taping is what gave me the quickest relief. I also have to wear a tennis shoe with good support, like Brooks, asics, or New Balance #928 or above. If I wear anything else it comes back.