Healthier buffalo wing sauce?

Options
pastelcarly
pastelcarly Posts: 8 Member
Generally for buffalo wings made at home I would use a mixture of Frank's Red Hot and melted butter. I'm trying to find a replacement for the butter completely, or a way to cut it down significantly. Is there any replacement I can use along with the hot sauce to try and recreate that buffalo wing sauce taste, rather than just using plain hot sauce?

Replies

• jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with butter?

experiment a little... cut half the butter and add a couple tablespoons of white vinegar to the mix
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    It doesn't need any added oil or butter. The wings are plenty fatty (the skin.) I like to add a little bbq sauce to my hot sauce.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Frank's makes a wing sauce that's low in calories.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Deep fried chicken wings in general aren't the best option for cutting... especially when slathered in a buttery hot sauce.

My advice would be to start roasting whole, 3 lb. chickens. They are cheap and there is enough meat to last you for 2-3 days. As a bonus, you get 2 wings to keep your wing cravings at bay!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Deep fried chicken wings in general aren't the best option for cutting... especially when slathered in a buttery hot sauce.

My advice would be to start roasting whole, 3 lb. chickens. They are cheap and there is enough meat to last you for 2-3 days. As a bonus, you get 2 wings to keep your wing cravings at bay!

Where did OP say they were cutting? :huh:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Generally for buffalo wings made at home I would use a mixture of Frank's Red Hot and melted butter. I'm trying to find a replacement for the butter completely, or a way to cut it down significantly. Is there any replacement I can use along with the hot sauce to try and recreate that buffalo wing sauce taste, rather than just using plain hot sauce?

1 bottle hot sauce to 1 stick of butter? How many servings is your wing sauce covering?

To lower calories leave the butter out entirely or use 1/4 to half the amount and see how you like it.
    Add flavor with stuff like garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, vinegar, celery seed.
  • joymorrison08
    joymorrison08 Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sweet baby Ray's makes a buffalo sauce that is a little high in sodium but overall not terrible....I put it and some shredded chicken in Crock-Pot and then serve it over brown rice. And Frank's actually makes a specific buffalo sauce that doesn't need butter ....makes great buffalo califlower bites.
  • lovemymelanin
    lovemymelanin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I generally add Stevia. Or honey.
  • Myzzlone
    Myzzlone Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If youre looking for a thickener for the sauce mix a tbsp of cornstarch with 1/4 cup water, and mix it with the franks and cook on high until desired thickness. If its the creamy kindof fatty quality the butter lends id sub with coconut oil. It's still a fat, but its much better for you and has so many benefits. Id use 1 tbsp for every 2 tbsp of butter. Hope you find something that works!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I use the Frank's wing sauce. Very low calorie and delicious!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I did see a Frank's "Chicken wing sauce" a few weeks ago, where they already diluted it with butter/butter-like substance. (I was fairly amused). It was on a non-refrigerated shelf- so presumably they used a fake butter, so likely a lot less calories than the traditional mild/medium wings.