Mental Health as a Barrier

Options
Hello everyone-

After some success and many failures, I've identified my biggest stumbling block, my anxiety/depression. I am able to get into a groove with my eating and exercising for a week or two. But if I have one really anxious day, my motivation crumbles and I eat too much, stop tracking, and give up on exercising. I have a hard time allowing myself to have a bad, undisciplined day.

I am sure my story is not unique. How do you all deal with these setbacks and get back on track? I am at a point in my life where I am determined to lose the 15 pounds that I have carelessly put on as I careened into my early 30's. I am ready to put in the work! If anyone is looking for an accountability buddy, I'd love the support! We can't do this alone! Feel free to message me!

Thank you for reading!

-Bill

Replies

• sheps1990
    sheps1990 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Been in the same boat many, many times...

When do you normally exercise? I would highly reccomend in the morning, that way you are going to start the day positively, and if the worst happens and you do end up having an anxious day, at least if your food choices are sabotaged, you got your workout in!

I'm currently swimming every day, it was a struggle at first, but it's become habitual, along with cleaning teeth etc so if I do have a bad day this is just something that is done regardless.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    When I eat something I've been working at avoiding, or I eat too much, I simply accept what I did and get back on my path. I don't allow one, or even several, hiccups in my diet or exercise to become a reason for me to abandon my entire routine and give up. That's not to say I haven't given up in the past, but now I just accept what I did or did not do and continue my program. Also I try not to call myself stupid, weak, undisciplined, or any other derogatory name because it only makes me feel worse.
  • ahills1981
    ahills1981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain all too well Bill. I struggle with bi polar disorder and Im trying to bounce back from a 35 pound weight gain after successfully losing 100 pounds. Anxiety and depression can easily crush all your motivation an will power into dust. There are times when you will stop caring and fall off the wagon of a stable diet or days where working out will seem impossible so instead you will stay home and be lazy. But, no matter how much that happens you have to try and let the guilt go and pick right back up where you left off. As your health improves so will your mood and it will get easier.

I personally had issues with self esteem when I started, I honestly believed that I was just fat and lazy and this mind set and acceptance of who I thought I was became a huge hurdle. Dont let self pity and excuses hinder your progress. I have found that taking steps to improve positive thinking and recognising distructive behaviors has helped me more than any of the dieting advice I have received.

Although I do not know all of your story or truley understand how deep mental health issues go for you I do know that there are resources in most places that can be a great help in motivating and educating in regards to overcoming depression and anxiety. I recently did a group couse at my local health community centre which focused of recognising negative thoughts and changing perceptions. It might be worthwhile looking into local support groups in your area. The more people you bring into your circle and make part of your journy the more support you will get and the increased self accountably from having a group of peers to answer to never hurts.

You got this. You already decided you arnt the guy who's going to sit around and let his health deteriorate. You are already on track, and if you fall off you know how to get back on.

......and if you truly ever need reminded of that I will happily tell you over an over that missing a day of excersize or eating an extra slice of pizza doesn't make your goals magically disappear....but just sets them back a day or two or alternatively you could just make up for these days on other days with a longer work out to ease the guilt if you truly need it.

• aaf2
    aaf2 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have a very similar problem too. I am living in an incredibly high stress environment right now. I am keeping my weight training and cardio up, my eating is pretty good, but the stress is just a killer. Zaps me of motivation, makes my digestion and metabolism incredibly sluggish. I believe mental health is the biggest barrier to good health. Feel free to add me! I'm coming back to MPF after about a year break. I am looking to find new friends and reconnect with old ones.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have pretty severe anxiety, it got really bad after I had my daughter almost 3 years ago. I had PPD also. I see a therapist and I engage in quite a bit of self care. And I still have bad days. I have definitely done some emotional eating lol...not that im proud of it, but I just move on from it. I also try not to deprive myself of food I like, just eat in moderation so I don't feel so bad if I really NEED that cookie.
  • caffieneaddict
    caffieneaddict Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have/had/probably will have for a long time, very similar issues with my anxiety/depression. Wishing you all the best and hope things get better!
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm coming out of 10+months with agoraphobia were I couldn't really leave the house with out experiencing a panic attack. In that time I had gained 50lbs because honestly in that situation nothing matters and you are waiting to die and the only relief I could find was in fatty, sugary, and/or salty foods. I have anxiety, depression and a few other health problems that I've had for a good 22 of my 33 years on this earth that make dieting a bit more tricky.

Hopefully, you haven't had to be hospitalized for your condition but I will share two points I find helpful. One aim for progress not perfection, people with anxiety tend to have an 'all or nothing' mentality. Pushing too far one way will cause you to swing back further in the opposite direction. I can't afford large deficits in my diet because it can effect my mood too greatly but I can still shave a little off here and there. Second is self-compassion over self esteem. I think this video sort of sums it up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kfUE41-JFw also a book called 'Self compassion' by Kristin Neff has some good points even if some of the writing irks me.
  • zenartist24
    zenartist24 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouraging responses! I am already feeling more confident in my decision to make sustainable changes!

When I run, I typically do it after work. Ideally, I would love to do it in the morning but I have a difficult time fully waking up and getting motivated. I may need to look at my sleeping habits and see if I can adjust them to accommodate morning runs.

I definitely suffer from low self-esteem and become very self-deprecating when I have an 'off' day. I see this as my biggest hurdle. I think if I can start setting small goals I will slowly start to gain confidence as I achieve them.

Sara2652 - Thank you for sharing that video. It is so true!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar issue this year. I've been very cruel to myself on top of it.

My coach told me to stop trying to lose weight for a little. Being unsuccessful at losing weight, on top of the dread and anxiety I was already feeling, was too much. Instead we went into purposeful maintenance. I logged more carefully, ate more food, and instead of feeling ashamed for failing at something, I started to feel more confident for succeeding at maintenance.

After a couple weeks of that, I was more ready to get back into a deficit.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You've received lots of great advice and guidance from previous posters.

I don't have much to add except this: know that you're not alone. Lots and lots of us suffer from the same or similar issues and have the same setbacks, doubts, and negative self-talk. I think the biggest takeaway from what's been said here is to have compassion for yourself: when you have a day that wasn't on goal, FORGIVE YOURSELF. You are a human and all humans make mistakes or fall short of their goals.

Best thing my therapist ever said to me was, "You are not your mistakes and you are not your failures." Good luck out there and be kind to yourself.