will one day of eating bad affect you in the long run

Options
syousaf571
syousaf571 Posts: 46 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
i've got some special days coming up (my graduation and birthday) and was wondering that if i ate bad on these days if i will just...you know...ruin everything lol. I mean, by the next day i will be back on track with eating right/exercising. what are ur thoughts? even if its a special day, do you still try to remain within ur calorie limits? let me know cus im genuinely curious how other people approach this

Replies

• ashleighs148
    ashleighs148 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It will only ruin everything if you let it and you don't get back on track afterwards. A couple days won't affect you in the long run if you get back into it. On special days I tend to eat what I want but still try and log it. I'll maybe be 1-2lb up the next day and then the day after back to normal. You could just put your calories up to maintenance and be aware of that number rather than just go crazy. I'm graduating soon too and I've been eating at maintenance all throughout exams and I've not gained or lost anything.
  • syousaf571
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    it definitely won't ruin everything. One or two 'off' days here and there can actually help keep you on track in the long run since you'll be less likely to feel deprived and binge. Just try to relax and enjoy the occasion, and congrats on graduating!

thank you!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to a sustained calorie deficit over time. In situations like this I find it helpful to fall back on numbers. Depending on what you have your goal set at in MFP (lose 1 lb/week, etc) you have that calorie deficit built into your goal. If your logging is accurate and your results are consistent with your goal then that means you have a weekly deficit that you would be able to tap into for these special occasions without undoing any progress. If you are set to lose 1 lb/week, it's a 500 cal daily deficit and a 3,500 cal weekly deficit that you could potentially use for that special occasion.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    One day wont hurt IF you keep it one day.. not turn it into days and weeks of it.. then if that happens, then yes that first day you went back to your hold habits was a bad idea.
  • pwrlipstick
    pwrlipstick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    syousaf571 wrote: »
    i've got some special days coming up (my graduation and birthday) and was wondering that if i ate bad on these days if i will just...you know...ruin everything lol. I mean, by the next day i will be back on track with eating right/exercising. what are ur thoughts? even if its a special day, do you still try to remain within ur calorie limits? let me know cus im genuinely curious how other people approach this

I said this in another thread: a bad meal isn't going to make you fat any more than one good meal is going to make you skinny. It's got to be an aggregate.
  • MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 'bad' days in a row now, including a day where I went over by 1200! I lost weight this morning... Of course there are plenty of other factors to consider (exercise being the big one for me) but still, don't let it get you down. If anything just keep it in the back of your head and you might subconsciously limit yourself while still getting the most out of your celebration.

Good luck, congrats and happy birthday!
  • syousaf571
    Options
    I've had 3 'bad' days in a row now, including a day where I went over by 1200! I lost weight this morning... Of course there are plenty of other factors to consider (exercise being the big one for me) but still, don't let it get you down. If anything just keep it in the back of your head and you might subconsciously limit yourself while still getting the most out of your celebration.

Good luck, congrats and happy birthday!
    Thank you
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have a strategy for every social situation.

If I am at a buffet, I load up half my plate with veggies first and decide ahead of time which starchy carb I'm taking. It will be the bread OR the pasta. No seconds.

If it's cake I take a middle piece and leave some of the icing on my plate. No seconds.

I pick my drink and nurse it all night. No seconds.

Buffet dessert tables typically have fruit, too. I'll take one delicious square and fill up the rest of my dessert plate with fruit. No seconds.

See? Not bad at all. Enjoy all the foods.
  • syousaf571
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have a strategy for every social situation.

If I am at a buffet, I load up half my plate with veggies first and decide ahead of time which starchy carb I'm taking. It will be the bread OR the pasta. No seconds.

If it's cake I take a middle piece and leave some of the icing on my plate. No seconds.

I pick my drink and nurse it all night. No seconds.

Buffet dessert tables typically have fruit, too. I'll take one delicious square and fill up the rest of my dessert plate with fruit. No seconds.

See? Not bad at all. Enjoy all the foods.

wow, very insightful!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    syousaf571 wrote: »

One good days doesn't suddenly put you at your ideal weight for the rest of your life. Why would one bad day "ruin everything"?