When to start working out

So I'm on this weight loss program and they send me a box of food to last a month and im responsible for one healthy meal a day. Im eating around 1,200 cals a day and have lost 6.5lbs in the past 2 weeks. I love this program but I was thinking I want to eventually start lifting weights again so I don't get to my goal weight all flabby (I lost 27lbs before my last pregnancy by just lifting and eating smart) when I start working out again I'm sure I'll have to eat a few more calories each day and im trying to figure out how long I should ride out this fat fat loss before I start trying to do both. I'm 30lbs away from my goal. Does anyone have advice about when I should start transitioning and work on toning up?

Replies

• evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    That makes sense. Do you have any ideas about how I should adjust my diet? Idk if 1,200 cals is enough to supply the energy for lifting
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    I agree with @amyrebeccah . Start now! Make sure that you're eating plenty of protein and replenishing your energy stores after a strength training workout - don't go overboard, as weight training doesn't burn as many calories as cardio, but you need some protein/carbs to help your muscles recover.
  • evilpoptart63
    Do you know approximately how much extra I would need? And would I consume it on the days I work out or the next day as my muscles are recovering?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited May 2017
    Do you know approximately how much extra I would need? And would I consume it on the days I work out or the next day as my muscles are recovering?

You can let MFP calculate this for you in your Exercise Diary. In Cardiovascular, I use 'Weight training, free weights'. I eat back pretty much all of the calories I earn from exercise, but many people suggest starting at eating 50% of them back and adjusting as needed depending on how well you lose over time matches the weekly weight loss goal you set.

I eat them on the same day I exercise, but I have to do some form of exercise every single day, because otherwise I don't get enough to eat to feel satisfied. This time of year my garden is providing quite a workout.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I disagree. If you are doing a weight loss program that's working, stick with it. Add weights now, and see how it goes before eating back or adjusting up. Your goal is to maintain muscle and lose fat, eat and lift accordingly.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I disagree. If you are doing a weight loss program that's working, stick with it. Add weights now, and see how it goes before eating back or adjusting up. Your goal is to maintain muscle and lose fat, eat and lift accordingly.

Sorry, I am disagreeing with you.
    On 1200 the burn out when lifting is pretty fast. I know, I tried it ( and I am the little old lady that 1200 is suitable for)

Add 100 cals and adjust up or down from there.

Cheers, h.
  • evilpoptart63
    Thank you