Will removing soda from my diet completely help me to lose weight?

Options
I am an 18 year old male 5 foot 9 and around 185 pound my aim is to be around 150 pounds. I have always had an addiction to soda and it probably started to get really bad when i was around 12. I can honestly say that almost every single day I drink around 2 litres. This equates to between 840-900 calories alone just from drinking it. I have decided that I need to stop this before I end up developing diabetes or getting even larger.I will only drink water from now on. I am going cold turkey but I know I need to do it this time. Do you think If I remove it I will lose a lot of weight. Has anyone themselves had any weight loss success from removing soda.

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    If you remove 800 - 900 calories from your day and replace them with water (or diet soda or green tea or black coffee or anything else with nil to minimal calories) then highly likely you will bring your daily calories down to an appropriate level to lose weight.
  • determimed18
    determimed18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes! I cut pop out of my diet and lost almost 11 pounds in 2 weeks because of it.
  • BlueberryJoghurt
    BlueberryJoghurt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Tbh I cut it out at first, then noticed it was just really weighing me down because I was in the same boat as you.
    So instead of Soda I started snacking instead - wasnt good at first. Then just switched to diet. Still drinking Coke zero/Light cause I feel like its still the lesser evil.

Even started drinking red bull sugarfree altough I swore I couldnt taste that "piss" hehe :D
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    So, normally I'd give this explanation about calories in/calories out. But with how much soda you drink my answer is "yes".

I'd cut down slowly. You gonna feel like poo.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    If it's full calorie soda and you don't replace the calories with something else, probably. As long as your calorie deficit it enough.

If it's diet, it won't do anything except maybe make your body find another way to feed its caffeine.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    And sugar does not cause diabetes.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    See what happens when you remove it from your diet. But do not replace with fruit juice, it is just as bad. Test your blood sugars before and 3 months after. then you will know.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Cutting all those calories out will absolutely help as weight loss is all about calories. I cut sodas out years ago when my weight was climbing. I didn't actually lose any weight at the time but I did stop gaining weight.
  • Otto132
    Otto132 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My husband stopped drinking soda during Lent, and he inadvertantly lost about 10 pounds. He wasn't that heavy to begin with either. But if you really like it, you could moderate your consumption, or drink diet.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I drink diet instead of the regular ones if possible, weight loss is about calories in calories out but healthy eating id essential also :wink:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will absolutely lose weight by cutting out soda. If your soda is caffeinated, prepare for caffeine withdrawal, or take up coffee or tea. (Go easy on the sugar or you won't gain much.)
  • jjdamore
    jjdamore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Give up soda, even diet sodas. Switch to water, so much better for you, you be amazed how much better you feel after a few days. Good Luck.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    jjdamore wrote: »
    Give up soda, even diet sodas. Switch to water, so much better for you, you be amazed how much better you feel after a few days. Good Luck.

No need to give up diet as it has no impact on weight.