I'm only eating around 900 calories. Please Help!

Options
I recently started using myfitnesspal and noticed that my diet only consist of 900 calories. And I know that extremely unhealthy. But I don't feel hungry most of the time. My Breakfast is usually around 450, My lunch is around 350, and my Dinner is 200. Can you guys recommend more calorie dense foods that are healthy? Thank you :smile:

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If this is truly the situation, what is going on with your weight? Are you maintaining? Losing rapidly?
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    what is a typical days food?
  • holypsd
    holypsd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If this is truly the situation, what is going on with your weight? Are you maintaining? Losing rapidly?

In the last 2 months I lost 25 pounds, i started at 210 pounds and now am 185. My goal is 165 by the start of summer.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You could eat your breakfast for lunch and dinner, and then you would be up to 1350. 200 is a very small dinner. It is hard to recommend change when we don't know what you are eating. Open your diary. The easiest thing to tell you right now is to get a complex carb, fruit/veg, protein, and fat in each meal. If your calories are still low, add a snack or two.
  • holypsd
    holypsd Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I eat high protein foods like oatmeal, protein shakes, eggs, tuna, etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    holypsd wrote: »

I eat high protein foods like oatmeal, protein shakes, eggs, tuna, etc.

Okay - so you are focusing on protein, that's good. Now focus on fats. Do you use whole milk in your protein shakes? Can you add some nut butter to your shake? I make oatmeal with milk for added protein and fat (more filling for me) .....adding some chopped nuts would help too. Tuna in olive oil, or make a nice dressing.
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    What's your height? and it looks like you're losing weight at a very rapid rate one of the side sounds to losing weight so quickly is getting stretch marks and dealing with loose skin at the end. I would recommend increasing your calories and changing the setting on MyFitnessPal to lose 0.5 pounds.

I'm not sure of your gender (you'd didn't state) but for either gender you're clearly undereating and if you want good results you need to eat more food.

You also didn't mention if you're working out, or if you're weighing your food, or if you're eating back the calories you burned. But I can say change your rate of loss to 0.5 pounds and good luck!!

Consider seeing a health professional as well.
  • Girl_with_muscles
    Girl_with_muscles Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Dinner by definition the biggest meal of the day. Perhaps you should take that to heart and make sure that whatever you are calling dinner is bigger than the other two meals.

Please explain why you say this?
  • Girl_with_muscles
    Girl_with_muscles Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Extra calories can come from so many healthy sources. No need to eat a peanut butter sandwich or go full binge eating at dinner time.

So here are a few tips I use myself when I need extra calories:

When you're having a salad add 1 or 2 of these things:

Avocado
    Cashew or other nuts
    Seeds
    Extra Virgin Olive oil (1 tbsp is 120 calories, easy and healthy calories)

Always have a box full of almonds, coconut flakes + raisins in your car or on you. One almond is roughly 7-10 calories so 5 almonds are easy 50 calories.

If you like oatmeal for breakfast:

Coconut oil
    Dried fruit
    Apples
    Blueberries
    Peanut butter

Smoothies/Protein shakes

Coconut oil
    Olive oil
    Peanut butter

I'm to tired to add more to the list but there are so many things you can do. Fat isn't going to kill you nor are carbs, just eat healthy food and at the end of the day, if you still don't have at least 1200 calories (I really don't recommend the 1200 calorie diet but to each is own) eat a tablespoon of peanut butter, that's easy 90-100 calories.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this dilemma
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Eat a larger dinner and add a snack or two, including some of the calorie dense foods mentioned above. My favourites are peanut butter, avocado, cheese, butter, and full fat yogurt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Dinner by definition the biggest meal of the day. Perhaps you should take that to heart and make sure that whatever you are calling dinner is bigger than the other two meals.

Please explain why you say this?

I assumed Timothy was referring to the fact that "dinner," traditionally was used for the largest meal, whether it was in the middle of the day (common in many farming communities) or final meal of the day. Places that had the big meal mid day would refer to the final meal as supper, and places that had it at the end of the day would refer to the mid day meal (of course) as lunch. (I know they do some "tea" thing instead of "supper" or "dinner" for the final meal in some parts of the UK -- probably the usage was at one point similar to the "supper" one I mentioned.)

I grew up with lunch/dinner (regardless of size, although even an mid-day feast would be referred to as dinner as with Thanksgiving), but my grandfather (who grew up on a farm and was a farmer in a rural area for much of his life) would call them dinner and supper, which I thought was weird as a kid until I learned the historical usage of the terms.

Irrelevant to OP, who should just eat more, whenever.

OP, are you really not able to get in more food or are you feeling conflicted about it or cutting out fats or otherwise being restrictive about what you eat to an excessive degree?

Also, nuts are a good option to try. But if you are doing protein shakes, it's easy to make them more caloric.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    the simplest n easiest way is to add one or two tablespoon of chia seeds to whatever u eat. at 70 cal each with healthy dose of iron n calcium n protein n n fiber n good fat (HALLELUJAH!). 4 Tablespoons is 280 calories n u r done!

PS eat them before they get fat with liquid inside so u wont feel like u r eating anything extra :wink: