No exercises after age 30...disabled

Options
Memerex5
Memerex5 Posts: 55 Member
I have spinal stenosis and arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis beginning in the hands and fibromyalgia. Any suggestions for beginners exercise?

Replies

• CynoO
    CynoO Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    have you tried gentle yoga ?
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics. I have knee issues and it has made it so much easier on me!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Exercises in the pool.
  • Memerex5
    Options
    CynoO wrote: »
    I've never even heard of it! Guess I will have to check that out.
    I've used it in the past and loved it. I haven't even thought to look in my new state! (Been in Florida for 11 years)

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @Memerex5 four weeks after I cut out all added sugar and all forms of all grains my back and joint pain dropped enough so I could start walking again. Now I can walk for 1/4 mile without giving out.

Swimming is an low impact exercise.

Best of success.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Memerex5 wrote: »
    I have spinal stenosis and arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis beginning in the hands and fibromyalgia. Any suggestions for beginners exercise?[/quote]

What was the answer of your medical provider to this question?
  • CynoO
    CynoO Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    CynoO wrote: »
    I've never even heard of it! Guess I will have to check that out.
    I've used it in the past and loved it. I haven't even thought to look in my new state! (Been in Florida for 11 years)

I have a few yoga youtube exercises I do and I love it, yes it is slow but it is still something and helps with toning. I feel and see a difference! Its been everyday for a 6 weeks almost now! good luck
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I believe it is @Chieflrg who has RA. I cannot offer any suggestions but I am tagging him just in case he does.
  • Memerex5
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I have spinal stenosis and arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis beginning in the hands and fibromyalgia. Any suggestions for beginners exercise?[/quote]

What was the answer of your medical provider to this question?

To start with no to low impact exercises.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    Miranda Esmonde-White Classical Stretch
  • KEVKansas2017
    KEVKansas2017 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are actually yoga exercises for the hot tub. Google them. And of course, the hot tub will help with the pain. If your doctor agrees to write you a "prescription" for it, you could get it tax deducted for a legitimate medical expense. Talk to your accountant, first, to be sure you're doing everything correctly. I have terrible fibro and stenosis. I'm the only one who uses it, so I bought a small one.
  • Memerex5
    Options
    There are actually yoga exercises for the hot tub. Google them. And of course, the hot tub will help with the pain. If your doctor agrees to write you a "prescription" for it, you could get it tax deducted for a legitimate medical expense. Talk to your accountant, first, to be sure you're doing everything correctly. I have terrible fibro and stenosis. I'm the only one who uses it, so I bought a small one.

I will look into that! Thanks.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The Starting Strength program can be very useful for combating the rhuematoud disease. Heavy compounds are especially he l pful with the pain with the hands.
  • Girl_with_muscles
    Girl_with_muscles Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Find something you love, get a trainer to help you..

Actuall if you wanna try crossfit, try crossfit. We have so many disabled athletes doing the sport, people with no limps.. People with fibromyalgia, leg less folks, paralyzed, cancer patients...

You can do what you want but you might need guidance and help scaling down the exercises so you can do them

• nurseratchet46
    nurseratchet46 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi there,I have failed back surgery syndrome x 17 years.....I have a cage and rods in my back....I just started working out at the gym with a free trainer 4 times...I understand Fibromyalgia,and RA.....and Stenosis.I used to be a nurse....I think whatever suggestions you like,and what your doctor says are important....Start out slow....and easy...theres alot of great people on here with great advice!!!!!I would like to have a friend for mutual support....!!!!!!
  • Memerex5
    Options
    @nurseratchet46 I would love to have mutual support also. Sending friend request!
  • arialb122
    arialb122 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I also have RA and spinal stenosis. For me, lifting, particularly heavy lifting, is the worst thing I do to my joints. The pain can become unbearable very quickly after lifting. I am not sure if that is the same for everyone though. I have been able to get into a good running routine, which helps me a lot. I started very slowly to let my back adjust, so as not to create more injury. Now, I am an endurance runner, and LOVE it! When I have a bad flare, I don't run. Listening to your body is helpful!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    arialb122 wrote: »
    I also have RA and spinal stenosis. For me, lifting, particularly heavy lifting, is the worst thing I do to my joints. The pain can become unbearable very quickly after lifting. I am not sure if that is the same for everyone though. I have been able to get into a good running routine, which helps me a lot. I started very slowly to let my back adjust, so as not to create more injury. Now, I am an endurance runner, and LOVE it! When I have a bad flare, I don't run. Listening to your body is helpful!

Sorry you had a bad experience.

I assure you it isn't bad for everyone. You have to build the bone density up slowly as well as have proper stress, muscles, and adaptation to the muscles and tendons.

Sometimes this can mean taking a few extra steps back especially during a flare in order to move forward. There are many tricks and tis I've discovered to help work around what would give you pain as well.

Pretty much how one has to listen when running which I have done slso, lifting has a different set of ears and just takes experience to figure it out.
  • nurseratchet46
    nurseratchet46 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know for me,I also have spinal stenosis,taking it slow,is the answer.....I like the Nautilus machines at the gym,because it shows you the muscles being used....This way Im building up muscle around where my surgery was in my spine,not right into the spine....I guess working out so much in my 30s helped,because Ive been doing alot of exercises at the gym with weights..and Im not in pain afterwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Swimming, stationary bike, walking, rope climbing with a full harness, yoga, gentle piyo, rowing are all fairly non-load bearing activities and easy on your joints.