What exercises can you do?

Options
I raised this in my introduction but the MFP blog entry for the 13th May summed up my frustrations exactly.

6 exercises everyone should do. But what if I can't ?

It only needs a small level of disability in hip, knees or ankles to stop you doing squats. Lunges are also tricky with arthritic knees or hips. The next three involve getting down to the floor, and even more difficult, getting up again. The only one of the six I stand a chance of doing (on my good leg) is the deadlift. I'll try that in the morning.

Is there an exercise creator out there who realised that we're not all under 40 and fully fit.

Us more mature MFP members need to lose weight and build muscle even more urgently than the younger, fitter ones as our sell by date is sooner.

Replies

• faysalubit
    faysalubit Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am doing 30km running and 100km Cycling per week ..
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When you are unfit and just starting a fitness program you should not expect to be able to perform as if you are in shape. Not sure what the article was but perhaps being able to perform the exercises could be a long term goal. Or maybe not.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    faysalubit wrote: »

That has nothing to do with resistance training, or anything to do with the original question...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Is there an exercise creator out there who realised that we're not all under 40 and fully fit.

Yes - just look in the mirror!

Do what you can do, don't do what you can't.
    I can't squat with any worthwhile weight, can't lunge at all, can't leg press over 200kg without bone on bone squeaking, can't run more than a mile a week.....

But I'm extremely fit and pretty strong for a 57 year old because I do the things I can do to the best of my ability.

Must admit I don't get why an article gets you so hot under the collar. Most of the MFP articles and blogs are awful - wouldn't pay any attention to them.

Set yourself some goals and then share them to get some advice from members on here or exercise professionals who can make some suggestions to tailor a routine for your particular needs and capabilities.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    faysalubit wrote: »

That has nothing to do with resistance training, or anything to do with the original question...

I think he was replying to the title of the thread without reading the content...
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 40's and I also have hip problems, so need to stick to non weight bearing exercise. I walk, hill walk, cycle in the gym and on the road plus use the Xtrainer and gym weights - leg press, calf extender, leg curl and leg extender plus other weights for the upper body. Also swimming. I should be doing Pilates which help with the core but the class times don't suit me. There is also a new stair treadmill thing in the gym, but I find it hard work on my knees so I can only do a couple of minutes at a time. Good luck, it's not easy x
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Look up Miranda Esmonde-White and Classical Stretch. She designed her workouts to heal and prevent injuries.
  • Girl_with_muscles
    Girl_with_muscles Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes.

There are so many things you can do. The best exercise to start with is walking. Go for a 30 min walk each day.

Work on your mobility. You can do a squat without doing *kitten* to grass or 90° go as far down as your body allows you.

Every exercise you can imagine can be adjusted down to beginners level. Push ups against a wall, holding a plank for a few seconds. You can even scale burpees down to a beginners level and box jumps can be done by stepping up on a low box.

I know it's not easy, specially when you look at all the young and fit people doing amazing things with their bodies but the thing is, you can do that as well. I've seen people with no hands do pull ups and people with no legs squat. They just adjusted and exercise to their ability. You can do that as well.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Blogs like that are ridiculous. Focus on what you CAN do, and keep progressing from there. That's ALL that matters!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    jaxlace wrote: »
    I raised this in my introduction but the MFP blog entry for the 13th May summed up my frustrations exactly.

It only needs a small level of disability in hip, knees or ankles to stop you doing squats. Lunges are also tricky with arthritic knees or hips. The next three involve getting down to the floor, and even more difficult, getting up again. The only one of the six I stand a chance of doing (on my good leg) is the deadlift. I'll try that in the morning.

Us more mature MFP members need to lose weight and build muscle even more urgently than the younger, fitter ones as our sell by date is sooner.

So...this makes the PERFECT example why people should start exercising and keep the ability to squat, lunge, get down on the floor and back up again for as long into their later years as possible.

Now, to help provide some alternatives and suggestions for you. You say you can't squat. Can you sit in a chair or on the toilet? Then you can squat. Box squats are an excellent exercise for those who can't just drop into the squatting position.

Lunges are definitely trickier as they involve a balance/coordination element. But you can step backwards, instead of forwards, or do them holding onto something.

Every exercise is scalable or has a relevant substitution. I don't know what other exercises are referenced in the article, but the ability to get up off the ground is paramount should one fall.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Focus on what you can do, and make the things you can't do goals that you can work toward.

They are doable.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    FWIW, the OP is referring to this article: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/6-exercises-everyone/
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link JetJaguar.

@jaxlace, when I was 54 there was no chance I could do any of those exercises, heck there was no chance I would have even thought of doing any of those exercises.
    However that was the age the light bulb went on for me and I realized I was fat, frumpy, and over 50. Not a nice thing at all

I started counting calories and exercising. I chose aqua fit to begin with as I loath sweating. That got me in reasonable shape and improved my musculature.
    I subsequently went on to do all kinds of different classes and followed a number of different routines online, now I lift weights.

At 63 I can do every one of those moves, but it took starting at the bottom, the very bottom, and working my way up over time.

Each of the moves described has a progression listed so if one chose to do them there is an option to start simple and work up to the full move.

Don't let something like this put you off. There are posts about the most important exercise you 'should' do every day, just like the food you 'should' eat.
    Ignore them, start from a place you are comfortable and work from there.

If you do have joint, balance, or flexibility problems I would recommend aqua fit, it did wonders for me and my confidence going forward.

Cheers, h.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    The more physical issues we have, the less likely it is that the internet will neatly deliver a perfectly-tailored workout directly to our eyeballs, and the more we have to research, experiment, and figure things out on our own.

Don't get me wrong: I understand where you're coming from. I'm 61, and have a torn meniscus, arthritis in knees/hips, osteopenia, post-mastectomy/radiation scar tissue in my chest, and more. Gradually, over time, I've figured out what I can do, without causing unmanageable problems. It took research and experimentation.

A few ideas:

If you go to YouTube and search a phrase like "exercises for bad knees" or "alternatives to squats", you'll get a bunch of videos. Take a look at some of them, read the descriptions to see who the presenters are (looking for physical therapists, certified trainers, etc.), and try some. You may even find presenters with a wide range of exercise videos that work for you, if you're lucky.

If you have diagnosed physical problems, see whether you can get a physical therapy referral. If you can, hound the PT for ways to rehab, remediate, work around, or adapt. Practice whatever exercises they give you.

If there are private clinics or physical therapy practices around you, see if they have rehab classes for people with your condition(s). If necessary, call doctors' offices and see if they know of suitable classes available locally.

If you have local adult-education programs that include exercise classes, take a look at those. Sometimes there are arthritis classes or other rehab classes. Sometimes there are classes for seniors. If not that, look for things that might be do-able, then talk to the instructor about whether the class will be do-able for you (or if they'll be willing to offer modifications in class - some are).

Look for books about dealing with your particular problem(s), and read them. Some (many) will be junk. A few may have some nuggets of gold in them.

If you can afford it, seek out a personal trainer with rehab experience or certifications for dealing with the kinds of physical issues you have, and hire them to work with you for a few sessions.

Personally, I find that the more I can figure out to do, the stronger and fitter I get. The stronger and fitter I get, the less pain I have, and the more I can do. This isn't a process over weeks, it's a process over years . . . but it's a really great and productive thing.

So, ignore the silly click-bait blog posts that pop up on your page, and do some more active research on your own. We can spend our energy railing at what we can't do, or we can spend our energy researching and experimenting to figure out what we can do. There may be lots of things on the "can't" side, but most of us are lucky enough to have at least a few things on the "can" side. Start with that as a foundation, and improve from there.

I've been active now since shortly after cancer treatment (17 years ago). Now, at 61, I can do things most women 20 years younger can't and for sure that my obese, out-of-shape 20-years-younger self couldn't have done. Moreover, I actively enjoy doing them. In season, I row 4 times a week and go to spin class twice, plus bike a bit on local trails, among other things.

I'm sure you can find some routine that you enjoy, that will help you gradually get stronger and fitter. It won't always be easy, but it'll be worth it. I wish you much success (including fun) in the endeavor!

• kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Oh my God! I know exactly what you were talking about. The best advice I ever got, was to make an appointment with a physical therapist once a year for a tuneup. Ask around at places like small running shops – – not places like Dick's--to see if they have any recommendations. It's important to find a physical therapist who works with athletes. My PT recently gave me an amazing squat that you do without trying to pretend you're sitting down on a chair only not really. I can't do those, and I won't do those. She has me facing the wall and holding onto it while pretending to hold a block between my shoulder-width ankles and knees. I only sit back a tiny amount but I can sure feel it! It doesn't hurt any of my aging joints. Same with a number of other exercises she has given me that are altered to accommodate my aging wrists, which can't take a lot of weight on them, and my injured places that will not be recovering anytime.
    Ask your doctor for a referral to a PT for a tuneup, or just pay out-of-pocket for one or two visits. They are a way better bet than most personal trainers for giving you exercises that not only will you actually be able to do, but that won't hurt you.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    At 50 years old, there's not much I can't do ... at least among the things I want to do. ☺ I'm still cycling ultra distances, walking lots, and doing lots of other things. The less you do the less you can do.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    See if you can get your hands on this book. I got it from my library. The author mentions that it's designed for all ages/fitness levels:

https://www.amazon.ca/Core-Program-Fifteen-Minutes-Change/dp/0553380842
  • Girl_with_muscles
    Girl_with_muscles Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    Oh my God! I know exactly what you were talking about. The best advice I ever got, was to make an appointment with a physical therapist once a year for a tuneup. Ask around at places like small running shops – – not places like Dick's--to see if they have any recommendations. It's important to find a physical therapist who works with athletes. My PT recently gave me an amazing squat that you do without trying to pretend you're sitting down on a chair only not really. I can't do those, and I won't do those. She has me facing the wall and holding onto it while pretending to hold a block between my shoulder-width ankles and knees. I only sit back a tiny amount but I can sure feel it! It doesn't hurt any of my aging joints. Same with a number of other exercises she has given me that are altered to accommodate my aging wrists, which can't take a lot of weight on them, and my injured places that will not be recovering anytime.
    Ask your doctor for a referral to a PT for a tuneup, or just pay out-of-pocket for one or two visits. They are a way better bet than most personal trainers for giving you exercises that not only will you actually be able to do, but that won't hurt you.

Wall squats.. They are super helpful and beneficial. Everyone should be able to do them. Your PT is a good one.

image-300x300.jpeg
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    FWIW, the OP is referring to this article: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/6-exercises-everyone/

Thanks for the link.

OP, it's normal not to be able to do that stuff without having worked at it for awhile. I think that they are all good exercises to work on (though I'd do a normal dumbbell row and not the one shown) for general strength improvement.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    jaxlace wrote: »

There are many exercises I will never be able to do, regardless of how fit I become. The joys of injuries from younger years not becoming evident until years down the track. I'd love to be able to run, cycle, hike through hills and mountains, high intensity exercise etc, etc but the reality is that I can't and doing so will just cause more irreparable damage. Instead of focusing on what I can not do I need to focus on what I can do and aim for achievable goals around this. I can walk, as long as there are not too many gradients and I can do some resistance training, as long as not too much stress on my knee. I could also swim but hate it so won't go there . I will not have a perfectly toned body but I can still be fit and healthy and bemproud of my achievements.
    Don't worry about what others can do, just do what you can do to the best of your ability.