Looking for members with high blood pressure..

I have had high blood pressure for a few years now meds help a bit. Never really changed my foods much as i was one of them people who says oh the meds will fix me. Well now i need to start eating right as my bp is spiking.

I would like to become friends with members who have high bp as to view your diaries to see what kind of foods your eating.

I read lowering carbs and getting 104g protein(a study i read online) helps lowering bp. I also read that sugar is just as bad as salt for most people who suffer from high bp. Does anyone know if that is true.

Thanks for any and all help..

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I was medicated for high bp for a few years. Currently unmedicated and doing fine. I don't follow any specific dietary protocols for bp (including sodium - I just eat what I eat). The key for me is being more active (walking is fine) and losing weight. Your mileage may vary. Definitely consult with you doctor. Your meds may need to be adjusted while you are making other lifestyle changes that take longer to show a positive effect.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Definitely consult your doctor- but the key for me is to keep doing my exercise- i love walking and dancing- I am also trying to eat lower sodium BUT be careful because low sodium sometimes will become "high" sugar- so read the labels- sometimes it is better to just eat regular foods and be active- They do have something called the DASH diet- look it up- google- that is suppose to be for folks with high bp- good luck!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I would focus on exercise and weight loss first rather than "kinds of foods." Once you're exercising regularly (walking is fine) and have your weight under control (or at least moving in the right direction), if you still aren't getting the results you want, you could see if your BP responds to reducing your sodium intake (if you haven't already tried that) and increasing food sources of potassium, magnesium, and calcium.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    I found increasing my potassium intake by consuming more vegetables easier and thus more effective than just lowering my sodium intake. This also provided an ancillary benefit of increased nutrients in general.