Stepping out of my safety zone

Options
Ok, so on the 1st of aug I am going home to FL for three weeks to spend my birthday with my family. This means frequent barbeques, family dinners at restaurants, and not to mention the homemade cheesecake my mom is making for my birthday! My family is very supportive (even though my sister JOKES that she will put cheeseburgers by my pillow while im sleeping) but they arent going to change their eating habits just for me. I am afraid that I will give in to the temptation surrounding me since I have technically been in food solitude this entire time (meaning I only keep good food in my house). I know this is kinda like a reality test for me but I dont want to fail miserably, instead I want to ensure that I atleast maintain my current weight. I am thinking about changing my settings to maintain so that my calories will increase and give me a little flexibility. I am going to make sure that I exercise just as much as usual if not more, I know I will be doing ALOT of swimming, so that should be a nice change up from my usual routine. I have also heard about counting cals for the week, that way you can go over one day but under the next and it will even out... Im not sure? I would love to get some advice or suggestions, thanks guys!

Replies

• maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    We had a week-long family reunion (and all the ensuing drama that goes with 10 siblings, 8 of their spouses, 24 neices and nephews, 5 children of my own and 1 grandchild!)

I changed my calories to maintaince (my goal was to at least not gain weight and I was still only 1 month into this process) and bumped up my exercise a bit. It worked for me. Actually lost a pound!
  • ladypurgatori
    ladypurgatori Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think Im just going to stick with the maintain and exercising, I hope it works!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Besides what you're already planning to do, just watch your portion sizes. Most of us don't get the kind of time you're going to get to spend with your family very often. Just don't overdo it and you'll be fine. Plus you'll get to make some great memories with your family.
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I use maintaince and extra exercise as a srategy at times like this. it has been a way to endulge without derailing my progress and so far it has helped. you can do this! its great that you have thought about it and made a plan! even if you mess up the important thing is to get back at it, Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    ps, Have lots of FUN!
  • Kickboxer69
    Options
    Hey Girl!

As you alreasy know, being around family is very hard when you are dieting. Family is always going to try to push food on you and very high calorie food is always at the ready. The will is very important in this situation, it takes courage to tell the family,"no" when it has to do with food. I know you have the power to avoid temptaion and keep your exercise going through your vacation. Always think back to beginning of your journey and that will give you balance in the veil of temptation.

Regards,
    David