Weight loss plateau, or muscle weight building?

Options
annabel92
annabel92 Posts: 77 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I started properly looking at my diet 2 months ago - now eating 1000-1200 calories a day - and I've now lost just under 4 kg (approx 8 lbs). Originally I was just under 61kg, and now I'm just under 57kg (height 5ft6).

Alongside the diet, I started cardio a few times a week (3-4km runs), and over the last 1-2 weeks I've started weight training with light weights (3kg each).

Over the last 1-2 weeks I have found that my weight isn't going down (it's usually a steady 1lb a week at least).

It seems a bit early for my muscles to have built substantially enough to start weighing more. Have I reached a weight loss plateau, and if so, what can I do about it?

I can't cut my calories any more as I'm already between 1000-1200.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's just water weight from the new exercise.

Your muscles hold the water to help them repair. It will come off when they get used to the exercise.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    annabel92 wrote: »
    I started properly looking at my diet 2 months ago - now eating 1000-1200 calories a day - and I've now lost just under 4 kg (approx 8 lbs). Originally I was just under 61kg, and now I'm just under 57kg (height 5ft6).

Alongside the diet, I started cardio a few times a week (3-4km runs), and over the last 1-2 weeks I've started weight training with light weights (3kg each).

Over the last 1-2 weeks I have found that my weight isn't going down (it's usually a steady 1lb a week at least).

It seems a bit early for my muscles to have built substantially enough to start weighing more. Have I reached a weight loss plateau, and if so, what can I do about it?

I'm hoping you're eating back at least a portion of your calories expended through exercise.
  • annabel92
    annabel92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

I'm hoping you're eating back at least a portion of your calories expended through exercise.

I am; I never eat below 1000 calories 'net' when taking into account calories burned. I try to get as close to 1200 'net' as possible.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

I am; I never eat below 1000 calories 'net' when taking into account calories burned. I try to get as close to 1200 'net' as possible.

Cool.

I'd take heed of @Girl_with_muscles post further up the thread.