Gotta vent!

Options
vettle
vettle Posts: 621 Member
UGH health nuts really get on my nerves sometimes. I just made diet cake pops with diet coke instead of oil and egg and one of my (sort of) friends wrote this:

"
I think you are confused Yvette... Ditch the diet coke and add the egg and oil(Coconut or Olive) back in, it is probably the only park of the cake that was good for you in the first place. Remove the flour and use coconut or almond flour, and use 70% or better coco for your chocolate, that will make it better. Fat is good for you! Aspartame is bad!
"

Talk about the food police and killing my buzz! Some people need to take a chill pill and realize that life without some cheating is NOT LIFE! I realize that eggs are good for you and I do eat them, but I was trying to make a TREAT a little less evil in the calories, that's all! GEEZUS! I am actually allergic to nuts and coconut so that's out of the question and it was a BOX CAKE! I don't eat these on a daily basis so much that I would keel over and die from the swap. AHH this makes me so mad!!!

Anyway thanks for the vent. Reply if you get equally frustrated with these doofuses that feel the need to tell us everything we already know in the attempt to come out on top in the health department.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Sorry, "friends" like that on here I would drop pretty quickly. I'm where I am in my eating habits and they can do what they want to do. I don't need food nazis telling me that I should be growing my own vegetables, eating only raw foods and everything else they like to push on you "for your own good." If I choose to drink one can of diet coke every few days, instead of the 6 pack I used to drink every day, that's my choice.
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    lmao...wonder what they would say about my occassional fried pickles!
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    but most importantly, where can i get this recipe for diet cake pops??

I think it's only a concern if you are eating cake pops on a daily basis. which would be awesome. but probably not good. I am not about to say diet soda is good for you, but i partake every once in a while. I think its impractical for most of us to eat 100% clean. Don't let them get you down - haters gonna hate.

:)
  • kcrojas630
    kcrojas630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yum... Cake Pops!!! I've been wanting to make these! Sorry she rained on your parade!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I know eh? seriously... well they are not friends on here. It's an old high school friend I have on facebook. Maybe it's time to clean out these people!

Oh the cake pops are so easy!

You take a regular box of cake mix (I used duncan Heinz devil's chocolate) and add 1 can of diet pop. This works for any cake mix and any diet drink (and probably any fizzy beverage actually). Mix it all up. Don't add anything to the mix other than that and bake as usual. Make sure the oven is ready because you'll need to put it in right away.
    Let it cool completely and then crumble into a big bowl.
    Add in a half a small sized pre-made icing container (I used Wilton chocolate decorator icing only because I was rushed).
    Mix it all together and roll it into little balls.

Then take one small package of Wilton Candy melts and melt them down, dip and voila! I only half dipped them too.

I got 32 decent sized pops out of that one box of mix, so try and give them away or make them for a party or maybe freeze them? They were 160 calories per pop (what MFP gave me in the recipe maker). I bet they'd be less if you used something that wasn't chocolate.
  • lugovelb
    lugovelb Posts: 60
    Options
    I see your point. I guess it all depend in the type of diet you are focusing on. I think some fat is good but in my diet i do have some not much my doc say i need to lower fat not remove it. However coke cup cakes sound interesting do you mind sharing the recepi
  • Nursestacie
    Nursestacie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    People are always trying to put their 2 cents worth in. Im sure youre not living on diet soda cake but I see nothing wrong with enjoying it either. I make them on occasion and enjoy them. I also use just cake mix and low fat yogurt and its yummy as well. Nothing wrong with treating yourself and you appear to be losing the weight so ENJOY your cake, and besides her way seemed complicated and I like simple.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    That's interesting... I had no idea you could use diet soda in place of eggs! LOL I have a whole bunch of diet Pepsi, YUMMMM, in my kitchen.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    The cake is great! Ignore all the know-it-alls. They drive me crazy whether it is fitness/nutrition or how to best motivate a classroom of adult learners, everyone has their own style and as long as it is working MYOB!

By the way, my niece is allergic to nuts and eggs, so that cake is great for her at birthday parties/special events.
  • lolathompson
    lolathompson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I can understand that. I try to find ways to be creative about my food too! Good for you, ignore the food critics.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I see your point. I guess it all depend in the type of diet you are focusing on. I think some fat is good but in my diet i do have some not much my doc say i need to lower fat not remove it. However coke cup cakes sound interesting do you mind sharing the recepi

I should have added.... I haven't yet tried that with cake, but I am planning to. I had my gallbladder out in December so I have to eat low fat now. This sounds like a perfect way to fit in a little cake every once in awhile without blowing my fat intake for the day.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

oh my god you did not just use that f word
  • KatrinaBallerina
    Options
    This is awesome, I can completely relate..My friend took a nutrition course and now shes the expert on everything good for me! I agree though, cheating is completely allowed..how sad would life be if not? You keep making your cakes with diet pop if that's what makes you happy at that moment :)
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    People have tried to argue with me about stuff too... Many people say if you try to do too many changes at once, you will have a horrible relapse.... but these few people you speak of don't realize that. I had to tell one of my 'pals' that she should see how I used to eat and live and THEN she can tell me I haven't changed enough... nosy people
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Ha! I was just discussing this w/ MFP friends through my MFP wall about the food police on here because I just had a run-in w/ the butter police on a seperate thread. But honestly, its not worth getting all worked up over. They do their thing, you do your thing. Its funny... sometimes I look at my friends diaries and see that they are losing weight by eating healthy and being active... and all in the world is good!

My wife is a die-hard vegetarian and I am not... she disagrees with my meat-eating... I always consider her when we/I cook... and we seem to be somehow madly in love?!?
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well ya know, as I've already said one time today, fanaticism in any form drives me nuts. The 'food police' are mostly people who haven't grown up enough to realize there is more than one route to any goal. My personal belief is that we should try to eat clean as much as we can... but life without the occasional cake pop (or in my case glass of red wine and chunk of chocolate) is no life at all!

*edited...a lot...for spelling*
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Yum, I love fried pickles.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I had an ex boyfriend who was a food nazi. I was so relieved when we broke up! :laugh:

Enjoy the occasional cupcake! And thanks for the recipe -- I may have to try this during Cupcake Wars!
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Well ya know, as I've already said one time today, fanaticism in any form drives me nuts. The 'food police' are mostly people who haven't grown up enough to realize there is more than one route to any goal. My personal belief is that we should try to eat clean as much as we can... but life without the occasional cake pop (or in my case glass of red wine and chunk of chocolate) is no life at all!

*edited...a lot...for spelling*

like this!
  • Sharon1829
    Sharon1829 Posts: 12
    Options
    Could I have the recipe