Eat so much but stay so skinny

Options
Angall08
Angall08 Posts: 148 Member
I know a couple of people who eat all day long and don't gain a pound and are really skinny. How is this possible. I wanna know their secret!!!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    They move a lot.
    Are you with them 24/7? They likely eat less at other times..
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I know someone like that who can eat crap constantly never exercises and is still so slim...but they are 'skinny fat' and probably not that healthy (still a bit jealous though)
  • Angall08
    Angall08 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    They move a lot.
    Are you with them 24/7? They likely eat less at other times..

Not around them all the time but I know they don't exercise at all and eat almost constantly.
  • EricNewark
    EricNewark Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    They have a natural high metabolism. My youngest son was like that. He ate junk constantly yet looked like he was at like 15% body fat. His senior year his metabolism "slowed" and he gained 30 lbs and is now chunky. Happens. Some peoples never slow down.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Your perception is not the truth. These friends likely eat in such a way that overtime, they stay slim. If they pig out at one meal or even for a month, they're eating less at other meals or over the course of the next month. My little brother does this kind of thing unintentionally, and unless you live with him like I do, you'd think he ate all day long while staying thin as a rod.
    Standard exercise isn't needed to maintain weight. Movement of any kind is helping them burn off any excess calories.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Anything can effect their weight. I know someone who eats a lot but she can't gain weight.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You might see them eat a lot in your presence, but they may eat very little when you are not around, you really can't be 100% sure of their eating habits.

Also take into effect that they possibly move around a lot as in they may have a very high NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis ) as apposed to their EAT (Exercise Activity Thermogenesis ) since you say they do not exercise.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12468415

• unicornumame
    unicornumame Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Genetics.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    They are probably freaks and belong in a circus sideshow. :smiley:
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    This idea comes up on here periodically.

First of all, such people, especially as adults, are strongly in the minority. At least in the U.S., but a few nations are catching up on this score, 75% of us are overweight. Of the 25% who are not, obviously a chunk must be dieting, working out, etc. to get there - every normal weight person isn't naturally so, not by far. Of the literally skinny, as you say, a portion are chronically sick. Another percentage have eating disorders. Of the tiny percentage left after all these factors, you have a percentage that appear to pig out, but then aren't very hungry at the next meal and just nibble, or even "forget to eat" - hence, they're not actually eating thousands or perhaps even hundreds of calories more than the next person.

Of the tiny tiny tiny portion left, yes, you have your people who can literally be pigs yet be skinny. Tiny, did I mention tiny? And even then it may be temporary. As they get older a percentage of even these literal outliers will be able to pig and hog like animals but stay thin.

You ask, why?

I don't know, why were you given a functioning body and the mental capacity to put sentences together and communicate but some other people weren't?
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I know someone like that who can eat crap constantly never exercises and is still so slim...but they are 'skinny fat' and probably not that healthy (still a bit jealous though)

They may be eating garbage, but as long as their calories are at maintenance, they are not gaining.
  • Piloteer2009
    Piloteer2009 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Perpetual skinniness is DNA trickery, or perhaps age related. I'm 51, moderately active, male. Body fat has always been 20-24% despite my weight or fitness level.

I have been at 200 and could bench 4 sets of 8 reps with 280 pounds without difficulty. I have been 175 and ran 2 miles in about 14 minutes. At both times in my life, I was 20-24% bf. Doesn't matter for me. Always just about the same.