Bacon: Do the cals include the fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Thanks again. I've been googling, and it looks like the grease cals are included in the USDA's data, which equals out to about 100 total cals per raw slice.

this seems more realistic

I save bacon grease for cooking and 10 slices of delicious nueskes bacon yields over half a cup of grease...

math time

8T=1/2C

1Tgrease=~126cals (14G*9cal)

126*8= ~1000calories

so the run off grease of my 10 slices of bacon is 1000 calories... Listed at 60 cals a slice (delicious thick Nueske's bacon) the bacon is supposedly only 600cals.. Not to mention there is still some fat on the bacon... It seems pretty obvious to me that the grease is NOT included.

Theres no arguing with that huge discrepancy in numbers... Any other opinion is wrong.

ETA: It should go without saying, that when I cook with this grease, i count the calories.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Thanks again. I've been googling, and it looks like the grease cals are included in the USDA's data, which equals out to about 100 total cals per raw slice.

this seems more realistic

I save bacon grease for cooking and 10 slices of delicious nueskes bacon yields over half a cup of grease...

math time

8T=1/2C

1Tgrease=~126cals (14G*9cal)

126*8= ~1000calories

so the run off grease of my 10 slices of bacon is 1000 calories... Listed at 60 cals a slice (delicious thick Nueske's bacon) the bacon is supposedly only 600cals.. Not to mention there is still some fat on the bacon... It seems pretty obvious to me that the grease is NOT included.

Theres no arguing with that huge discrepancy in numbers... Any other opinion is wrong.

ETA: It should go without saying, that when I cook with this grease, i count the calories.

Your math is pretty good. Here's the value I found for thick-sliced raw bacon -- you can see it's about 170 calories/slice.
    http://www.fitwatch.com/phpscripts/viewfood.php?ndb_no=10123&descr=Pork, cured, bacon, raw

Your estimate of 100 cal/slice in rendered grease and 60 (from the package) post-cooking seems pretty close.

Obviously if you are using the 60 cal/slice from the package you should track the fat separately. However, I think the OP was asking about tracking using the number for raw bacon, which is *not* 60 cal/slice for thick sliced.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Yep it includes the fat. Which most of us pour off and discard. No dis to those who use it...

I go by Kirkland Brand Cooked Sliced Bacon. It is 80 calories for two very average sized pieces of bacon. It is probably a bit less, because I really pat the crap out of it getting rid of the fat. I think you are going to need to guesstimate the real calorie count.

Edit re: ^^^ Heresy! No way, LOVE cooked bacon. What could be easier? I think it is great.
    I'm glad someone else besides me likes it :) I find it tastes just the same as cooking at home, so I figure why bother making a huge mess if I don't have to?
  • kapntoad
    kapntoad Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know this is late, but I just found this:

Under the mandatory labeling requirements, nutrition
    information, with few exceptions, must be presented on an
    “as purchased or packaged” basis... The USDA has also
    granted exceptions for bacon and fresh pork sausage which
    allow these products to be labeled on an ”as consumed”as
    opposed to an “as packaged” basis
    (based on a certain percent
    shrinkage in the cooking process).

So the nutrition information on the package already excludes the fat and calories which render during cooking.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Hmm, not sure if I made myself clear. I'm weighing uncooked raw bacon. Just looked it up, and the USDA calculates 417 cals per 100g. That does include the fat, right? Because the nutrition facts are for 100 uncooked grams, which clearly include the fat... Or no?

Yes, that entry is for unprepared (i.e., uncooked) bacon, so it includes the fat. ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2632?manu=&fgcd=
  • Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you dig through the database far enough you'll find entries for cooked & drained, calorie and fat counts will be significantly lower than the "plain" uncooked entries. It's still rather subjective since we all cook it to a different crispiness rendering different amounts of fat out. Ditto for sausage and ground meats/
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I know when I cooked a pound of bacon for a soup I was making I ended up with 4 oz when it was done I used the cooked entry and 4oz. instead of raw and 1 pound.
  • judydixon98
    judydixon98 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/pork-products/2208/2
    Pork, cured, bacon, raw
    1 oz 28 grams
    Calorie Information
    Amounts Per Selected Serving%DV
    Calories128(536 kJ)6%
    From Carbohydrate0.6(2.5 kJ)
    From Fat114(477 kJ)
    From Protein13.9(58.2 kJ)
    From Alcohol0.0(0.0 kJ)

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/pork-products/2208/2#ixzz4h9FNvt19