New on MFP..any former smokers trying to lose the weight?

KatrinaBallerina
KatrinaBallerina Posts: 14
edited September 30 in Introduce Yourself
Hey! I'm Kat and joined MFP about two weeks ago now and so far have only great things to say about it! I'm a former smoker..going on 11 months now and I'm still struggling to lose the weight I gained (roughly 30 pounds!) I pretty much ate all the stress away for awhile, at that time my only focus was quitting so the weight was the least of my worries. I know in the long run quitting will be worth the weight gain, but right now my motivation is pretty low (so is the metabolism :S) And of course some people would just ask, "Well why didn't you watch what you ate during that time?" Valid question of course, but when I did quit smoking, food was the next best thing in occupying my former addiction. I'm an emotional eater, as some can relate to! So when I was stressed and going through quitting, food was there to comfort me. So now here I am, ready to quit the second addiction in my life, and get my body back to its former self, where I feel healthy and confident again :)

Anyone going through a similar situation? I would love to hear your stories of success or struggles (like in my case!) Having people going through what I'm going through is the biggest motivator of all.

Replies

• nicbic123
    nicbic123 Posts: 75 Member
    hi there..i joined MFP about 2 months ago..ish....i have lost 19lbs 10 b4 MFP and 9lbs since joining...i have also just started (this morning) NRT therapy (patches & spray) so i am going about it the rather hard way (both at the same time!) feel free to add me x
    Nikki
  • Hey Kat,

I went through almost the same experience. I was never a chain smoker, one pack used to last me couple of days atleast. But, I used to smoke when I was emotional. Quitting smoking was the best decision I have made recently. I did notice that I gained about 15 lbs within the first one month because of snacking.
    Before I started working out daily and eating healthy, I went on a 3 day fresh fruit flush. That definitely kick started my metabolism and gave me a nice running start. I have managed to loose 11 lbs in less than a month and all I am doing is eating healthy portions. I still eat almost anything I want (I do have some rules), but I eat in moderation and I work out.
    I completely feel what you are going through but in the end when we achieve our goal, we would know that it was all worth it.
    Add me if you want.
  • Thats great! You are doing it the right way, if you keep at it you will have no problem keeping it off...and aside from the weight loss if ever you need moral support for quitting I would be happy to support you 100%
  • nicbic123
    nicbic123 Posts: 75 Member
    hey there......could you fill me in on what you did for your 'fruit flush' please? did it really help?
    Nikki x
This discussion has been closed.