The scale says I lost 45 pounds but I literally dont see any difference in my body

Options
I understand that people say "give it time, you will see results" but I would think after losing 45 lbs I would see a difference. Nope. I started at 215 now im at 170 and a height of 5'7 so it's not like I was severely obese to the point it would be difficult to see immediate results. I eat a calorie restricted decent diet and try to incorporate cardio daily. So why am I not seeing results? It's not like I just recently started making lifestyle changes this has been going in for a while now. I am starting to get extremely discouraged at this point... Any advice??????

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I understand that people say "give it time, you will see results" but I would think after losing 45 lbs I would see a difference. Nope. I started at 215 now im at 170 and a height of 5'7 so it's not like I was severely obese to the point it would be difficult to see immediate results. I eat a calorie restricted decent diet and try to incorporate cardio daily. So why am I not seeing results? It's not like I just recently started making lifestyle changes this has been going in for a while now. I am starting to get extremely discouraged at this point... Any advice??????

Congrats on losing 45 lbs, that is a huge accomplishment, I don't know why you would get discouraged. You look at yourself in the mirror everyday of course you're not seeing results. The scale is proof that you're on the right track. I'm sure your clothes are fitting differently.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel every ounce of your pain :| . If it wasn't for people telling me I lost weight I wouldn't believe it, then I catch a side eye glimpse in the mirror and I'm thinking ok...maybe I do look different, but can't pinpoint where. For me it's mental...it's one reason I struggled with an eating disorder most of my life, because I never looked small enough in my head. In these cases I trust the scale numbers, and pray my brain will catch up to the image everyone else sees.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    It takes our brains a while to catch up with our bodies. Often, the person we see in the mirror isn't what we actually look like - it's what our brains think we look like. This plays against us both when we're gaining weight (and don't see it) and when we're losing weight (and don't see it). It's also how some very thin people can genuinely believe they're fat; they simply don't see their real selves in the mirror.

Ways around this:
    • Photos can help. Put a photo of you now next to a photo of you 45 pounds ago. I bet you look different in them - and seeing both "you"s at once, your brain won't be able to ignore the difference.
    • Ask a person you trust. Be clear that you're not fishing for compliments. Just a question like "I've lost weight, but I don't feel like I look any different. Do you see any difference?"
    • Go by how your clothes fit. I don't see myself particularly different in the mirror from 20 pounds ago - but I'm down several jeans sizes, so I know that objectively I must be thinner.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Meggie post some before and after photos of yourself, make sure you aren't wearing baggy clothes in the after photos and I can guarantee there are differences.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You see yourself every day. Do what others are saying and take pictures. Take measurements. It'll help!
  • Jriggs46615
    Jriggs46615 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I, too, see a difference in all three pics.

I remember a makeover show several years ago that started off with a scale of people...very thin to very obese. The subject was asked to place themselves in the lineup, where they best felt they fit. The host would then take the person's stats and move them to where they really fit into the lineup. I only saw the show a few times, but every single time, the person judged themselves to be several sizes larger than they actually were. Perhaps that's your problem now - You're seeing what really isn't there.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Take measurements and pictures. Have you yet? If not, start now!

Also, I'd start weight lifting. It will help change your body shape. I've been happy with my lifting results so far and I'm not to goal yet.
  • lilysillycat
    lilysillycat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5/7" and started at 215 lbs. Today I'm at 177 lbs. My jeans changed from a size 20/22 to a size 14. doesn't your cloth fit differently? I can see the differences clear as day and night.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB I see a difference in all three as well. In pic B your thighs and stomach have slimmed down noticeably. Anyways great job, you obviously worked very hard to get to where you are today.
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Measurements pictures and how clothes fit. I swear my hips and waist haven't changed a bit but they have. I have a pair of jeans that were too uncomfortable to wear because if how tight they are that now don't stay up without a belt.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yeah my mind played that whole "pictures or it didn't happen" trick on me too. When you lose weight slowly, you really just get used to how you look during the process. And sometimes you only realize you look better, by looking at old pictures, or when people tell you.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Just keep going OP! To be really honest we are just "smaller versions" of our overweight selves until we start getting truely lean. That's when the magic happens. So you just have to keep on keeping on!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I lose weight first from my face and neck and legs and chest...then the hips and thighs happen a lot later on. People noticed even a few pounds on me pretty quickly (but I assume vice-versa!) because it's my FACE. I would bet that if you lose weight from everywhere at the same time, it would be harder to notice the progress. But there are advantages to that, too. (Like if you gain weight, people can't tell by looking at your cheekbones!!!)
  • Lizonia
    Lizonia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great posts here! Meggie, 45 pound loss is an awesome achievement. I did feel a bit of this when I lost 38 pounds BUT I visited a friend that had not seen me in 6 months and she screamed with delight to see how great I looked. I began looking at myself differently....same person in the mirror but now I saw a thinner me. Go figure. Keep up the great work, take some measurements, compare pics of yourself now and at your 'before' weight. Do you have any before clothes? yeah, try them on now and take a pic. That reinforced it me. <3
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Go put on an outfit that fit or was even a little snug when you started. I guarantee you will see a difference in how it fits!