Smith machine

Options
fuosa
fuosa Posts: 3 Member
Hi all has anyone got any good wrist strenthening exercises, I've just started squats on smith machine and I dont have the strongest wrists and struggle a bit with tilting the bar forward to keep it off safety catch thingys?! excuse me if my terminogy isnt thebest I'm very new to weight training! Also what kind of weight do you think I should be starting at?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    your wrist strength will progress as you progress, always squeeze the bar as hard as you can with every lift. And use anything but the smith machine, especially if you are new, its not a good machine and you will develop bad habits by using it. Learn free weights first, and if you really like the smith machine, use it as an accessory after you have learned good form without it. As far as what weight to start, the # doesn't matter, start light until you get your form dialed in and slowly add weight until its challenging.
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above post if you are squatting to improve your squat ability or if you're competing in powerlifting because you do need to use correct squat form. But it does depend on your goal. If you're using the smith machine for squats as a means to lose weight or strengthen your quads for example, then the smith machine might be a good tool for you in the beginning. It just really depends on your goals.

If you choose not to use the smith machine, you won't have the trouble of tilting the bar "off the safety catch thingys." As far as weight, I agree that you should start with light weight. Its different for everyone, and since you don't list your weight, fitness level/strength, etc....its hard to say. There's no shame in just using the bar to ensure correct form. From there you can always starting adding 10-25 pounds until you reach the desired rep range.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    As @SonyaCele points out your wrist strength will progress along with you.

When I restarted lifting I found a professional lifter/bodybuilder to concentrate on my form. We spent the opening sessions with a broomstick as this highlights any mistakes in form that would be hidden by moving the weights. Once I got this down we progressed to the bar and onto real resistance. Since then I'm lifting heavier than ever and injury free.

I use a Smith machine at my gym at the office and it does the trick. As you are a beginner I highly recommend you follow a program (Stronglifts 5x5 is popular now, but there are tons available) - watch the form videos and video yourself to check form. As for your beginning weight this will be dependent on the program - just don't lift too heavy too fast. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    IMO ditch the smith if possible and learn to squat with barbells ...