Advice on strength Training

Options
Hi

I have been doing walking for cardio exercise (hoping to up that to running at some stage) My legs are becoming quite toned however I've become conscious that my upper body hasn't been getting any workout. I've been thinking about getting myself a set of dumbbells and starting some strength training, can anyone recommend any programs/dvds etc I could follow because I'm not sure where to start?!

Would appreciate any advise.

Thanks

Replies

• reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump. Was just asking my friends the same thing. I need strength training for dummies.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Look up "The new rules for weight lifting for women" It's a great book and has information on how women should be lifting and the benefits of even heavy lifting for women since we will NOT bulk up like those body builders who are doing steroids.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311637279&sr=8-1
  • jamielynn1981
    jamielynn1981 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE ChaLEAN Extreme!!! It is a Beachbody Program. It is great for beginners, but pushes you the whole time!! I have had great results!!!
  • shel66216
    shel66216 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try The Trainer's Edge Integrated Strength Training with Jeffrey Scott. You can find it on Netflix Streaming video. Only equipment you need are two sets of dumbbells(one light and one heavy). I use 3lb and 5 lb right now and I can tell I have worked out.
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    I personally LOVE ChaLEAN Extreme!!! It is a Beachbody Program. It is great for beginners, but pushes you the whole time!! I have had great results!!!

I've been looking into this program. I've been doing Jillian Michaels videos and I'm ready to move on to something more difficult. Is there any cardio involved? How long are the workouts?
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    freetrainers.com
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    30 Day Shred is what I swear by!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have the "Women's Health Big Book of Exercises" and it's chock full of strength training.
  • jamielynn1981
    jamielynn1981 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I've been looking into this program. I've been doing Jillian Michaels videos and I'm ready to move on to something more difficult. Is there any cardio involved? How long are the workouts?

It breaks it down into 3 months:
    month 1: Burn Phase
    month 2: Push Phase
    month 3: Lean Phase

Each Phase you do 3 days of circuit training, 2 days of cardio, an ab, and stretch. It is a complete 90 day program, comes with a schedule, Guide book, Eating Right book, and an awesome motivational CD.
    Circuit workouts are 35-45 min., cardio-25-45 min., ab-10 min., stretch is 40min.(I think)
    I highly recommend it! I have been doing it for over a year mixing it with different programs. Now I am moving on to P90x to push myself even harder!! Feel free to message me for more details or to even order(I am a Beachbody Coach)