Anti Depressants

Options
Hi everyone!

Looking for some advice!! Ive been on setraline for 2 years! It's cause me to gain weight, become so lazy and killed my motivation for anything! I've put on about 3 1/2! I used to be 9st I'm now 12st 8. I go between 12st 12 - 12st 4 and can never get lower than that.
It's getting me down so much, all I want to do it lie about and eat all the time. I hate the person I've become and I get so demotivated when I can't get anywhere.
From looking at a few metal health forums this seems to be a very common side effect of this drug! Therefore I've decideded to come off them. And I know it will effect everyone different but had anyone has a similar experience and how long did it take for the side effect to dull down?
I want to see results for the effort I'm putting in and it's just not happening.

Any help and advice would be great!

Replies

• Jriggs46615
    Jriggs46615 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was on Effexor 2 different times, the last time for 3 1/2-4 years. I stopped after developing memory problems. Sadly, after stopping, I found out that memory problems is a side effect, one my doctor never told me about. I also found out that a person shouldn't really be on them for longer than 6 months at a time. :#

The first time, I quit cold turkey, and that was BAD news. The effects were so bad for 2 weeks - Constant dizziness, visual tracing, etc. Don't do that.
    The 2nd time, I stepped down gradually, as you're supposed to, and the transition was a smoother one.

I don't remember how long it took to fully get out of my system, but I've definitely never gone back, and it's been about 4 years.

I hope you find the help you need without the meds.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Medications like that have short term and long term side effects -- the long term side effects would stay for as long as you are on the medication.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    You need to come off slowly and under supervision; if you quit cold turkey, you'll have some pretty rough side effects. Go see your doctor and tell them what you've written here; your treatment plan isn't working for you.

Repeat: don't just quit your meds.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I am successfully weaning myself off sertraline after having been on it for more than 5 years. I was not on it for depression, though, it was for PMDD. Anyway, it has taken about 3 months so far and I have another several weeks to go. I began taking my regular dose (50 mg) one day, taking half a pill (25 mg) the next day, then alternated like that for a minimum of 4-6 weeks. I'm currently taking the equivalent of half a pill (25 mg) alternating with the dosage equivalent of 1/4 pill (12.5 mg) for another 4-6 weeks. Finally, I will alternate 12.5 mg on one day with no pills the next for my final 4-6 weeks. I ran this plan by my doc and she said fine and wrote me a prescription for lower dosage pills. I have had some minor side effects like mild head zaps for the first weeks after each dosage reduction. When the side effects go away I know I have stabilized to the lower dose and can gonto the next phase of reduction.
  • RAVERSTACE1983
    RAVERSTACE1983 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm on sertraline too I gained weight but that was because I wasn't watching what I eat and my lifestyle had changed alot. That made me more depressed. I've lost nearly 2 stone through watching what I eat and giving myself a good kick up the bum to move more so now I'm more active and I feel better. When I've lost abit more weight I will be weaning myself off the sertraline and see how I am.
    The bigger I got I didn't want to go anywhere was so ashamed of what I'd become.
    I don't do too well with talking to professionals so I opted for the medication started on 50mg now I'm on 100mg but I will be cutting them down to half when I am absolutely sure I'm ready to.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm on 150 mg and just reached my goal weight, literally today. If it isn't helping at all, I would guess that you need a different medication. I didn't feel great at the initial dosage but noticeably better.