Desperate for help!

Options
Hi
I have been eating 1200 cal a day and walking 3 to 5 days a week and I have GAINED weight! I'm so upset! Anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Weight, height, age, how long on MFP, do u have a food scale? R u logging everything like oil, drinks, sauces, etc etc?

R u willing to open up ur dairy? I was just at another threat that has the exact problem but without the above info, everyone is just guessing in the dark
  • Thinonceagain72
    Thinonceagain72 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I weigh EVERYTHING and measure all liquids too!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have been eating 1200 cal a day and walking 3 to 5 days a week and I have GAINED weight! I'm so upset! Anyone else have this issue?

How long have you been doing this?
    What has your weight been doing week to week over that entire time?
    How are you measuring your portions?
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Can you describe how many measurements over what length of time have changed? Do you weight yourself daily or not?
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    A few questions:
    What are your stats, CW, Height, and male/female
    How do you measure your food? (measuring cups only, or food scale for solids and measuring cups for liquids)
    Are you eating back a portion of your exercise calories?
    Did you give yourself 1200 calories or did MFP calculate it?
  • Thinonceagain72
    Options
    Hi Kimney!
    I've been doing this a month. I weigh my food with a food scale and use measuring cups for liquids. I drink 64 oz of water daily.
    Rusty I usually weigh once a week. :)
    Kay my starting wt is 175 I'm 5'4 I've gained 22 pounds in the past yr since I've started the job I have now which is sitting all day. I know this is not good but that is why I'm walking 3 to 5 days a week.
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    As someone so short, with maybe 30ish pounds to lose, I would decrease your loss to 1.5-1 lbs a week, start weighing daily and use a trend app (it's typical to have frequent fluctuations), and if you're using MFP calculations for your calories burned when you walk, eat 50-75% of them at first before adjusting.

Give it time, it might be water retention from introducing exercise, tom and ovulation bloating, or extra bites you're not adding to your overall food for the day. Continue to weigh and measure your food, and you should see results.

And as an ad in, take pictures weekly and measurements for additonal points of progress.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    So are you more than 175 now? Or was the gain just this week?

Weight loss isn't linear, even if you are perfect some weeks you will lose, some weeks you won't, and some you might even gain. Eating an extra salty meal or your monthly cycle can cause water weight fluctuations, sometimes of several lbs.

If you have gained weight and are now heavier than your starting weight, you are probably eating more than you think. Double check the entries you are using in the database - lots of them are user entered and wrong. And I don't mean this as an insult so I hope you don't take it that way, but make sure you are being honest with yourself and logging everything, every day.

If you are really eating 1200 per day and you are exercising, and it's been a month and you haven't lost anything yet, give it another couple of weeks. If you still don't lose, it might be worth a trip to the doctor to get some blood work done to make sure there are no medical issues involved. For reference, I'm 5'4" 130lbs and when I'm being lazy I eat @ 1600 to maintain my weight. Good luck!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    What has your weight done in the last month and how often do you weigh? Are you eating back exercise calories?
  • Thinonceagain72
    Options
    Kay yes that makes a lot of sense, I will admit I want it all of yesterday and I will get a trending app!
    Kimney you make a lot of sense! I will give it more time and yes, may need some bloodwork.
    Hi Chad! My weight has not gone down in the past month only up by 2 pounds. I def do not eat the exercise cal as I want all the help I can get. I was never overweight until I had kids. I love them and wouldn't change a thing but this weight has to go!
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Most of the battle is sticking with the plan. You are just getting started, so it's important that you have faith in this plan. It will work. Keep on your calorie goal as well as you can. I would suggest weigh-ins every single day. This will give you more knowledge about if what you're doing is working.
  • Thinonceagain72
    Options
    I'm taking everyone's advice and putting into practice! Will start weighing daily! Thank you for writing I really appreciate it!