Period BLOATING

Options
My body gets extremely bloated before period to an extent I don't feel comfortable going out of home .. I drink 13 glasses of water a day and I eat healthy most of the time I also don't use salt .. I am not sure why this happens please help me stop it or get rid of it

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Not much else you can do to change it, unfortunately. One of the joys of being a woman! If you have enough other bothersome symptoms, I suppose it's worth mentioning to your doctor.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Not much else you can do to change it, unfortunately. One of the joys of being a woman! If you have enough other bothersome symptoms, I suppose it's worth mentioning to your doctor.

Honestly, I would mention it even if there are no other bothersome symptoms. But I tend to be of the 'TMI' fraction when going to the doctor.

Chamomile or fennel seed tea sometimes helps me with the bloating. If anything, the heat is soothing.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Honestly, I would mention it even if there are no other bothersome symptoms. But I tend to be of the 'TMI' fraction when going to the doctor.

Chamomile or fennel seed tea sometimes helps me with the bloating. If anything, the heat is soothing.

lol I have to fight my natural tendency to under-report to my doctor. Say I have a gash on my arm, bleeding profusely, and the doc asks, 'So is there anything bothering you that you'd like to discuss today?' I might say, 'Well, I've got this little scratch here, but I'm sure it's nothing! No really, don't bother!' :lol: I'm working on getting past that, though!
  • BrutalMeHonest
    BrutalMeHonest Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Go to your gyno. Mild bloating is normal. Extreme bloating could mean something is off. Always be honest with your doctor. It's not worth it to avoid awkwardness if they misdiagnose you.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

lol I have to fight my natural tendency to under-report to my doctor. Say I have a gash on my arm, bleeding profusely, and the doc asks, 'So is there anything bothering you that you'd like to discuss today?' I might say, 'Well, I've got this little scratch here, but I'm sure it's nothing! No really, don't bother!' :lol: I'm working on getting past that, though!

I used to be that way. Learned the hard way not to (emergency surgery to remove a chronically inflamed gallbladder with a gallstone blocking the pancreas as a bonus... 'It's just a little bit indigestion. Really... nothing to be worried about"). Now I've switched to the other extreme. My new GP and new Gyn both laughed, but ended up taking note (and consulting with each other since they're in the same practice) and actually accurately diagnosed me with endometriosis. Now that I'm getting proper treatment for the root cause of a lot of my problems and not just combating individual symptoms, my life is so much better. :smile:

Oh and... I have been known to call my dad's doctor ahead of time to have a chat with his doctor about his symptoms... because I learned down playing my symptoms from someone after all... :eyeroll:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ranadaniet wrote: »
    My body gets extremely bloated before period to an extent I don't feel comfortable going out of home .. I drink 13 glasses of water a day and I eat healthy most of the time I also don't use salt .. I am not sure why this happens please help me stop it or get rid of it

I'm curious about this. Are you not comfortable because of how you look or because of how you feel?
  • Angela_does_zumba
    Angela_does_zumba Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I feel you, girl. I get bloats AND cramps before my period, and the bloating lasts until my period ends. It sucks, but there's not much else you could do but drink water (which is what you're doing already) and eating well. Perhaps increasing potassium intake could help? Green tea could possibly help too. Avoid eating foods that would cause bloat... If your bloat is very extreme, I would talk to your doctor. Give every single little bit of detail to them so they could properly handle the situation.
  • ranadaniet
    ranadaniet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Haha trust me I do the same I hide myself in leggings and try to avoid the outside world.. I'm sry that u r suffering from anorexia if you need any help don't hesitate to contact me
  • ranadaniet
    ranadaniet Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I'm curious about this. Are you not comfortable because of how you look or because of how you feel?

Both honestly.. I am 5'5 and 132 the bloating happens in my thighs and it makes me feel really bad when I look in the mirror and see my tight bloated
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I drink parsley or raspberry tea during my period. The taste is horrible but manages the bloat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well it was the one good thing about getting the pill - no more bloating this month! Didn't help with any of my other issues though.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    In all my years of getting periods (since 1979...I now get them much more infrequently as I'm in peri, but I do still get them) I have never found anything that really fixed this, except actually getting my period. I wish I had something better for you than this but I think for some of us, really we just live with it. It's not the most wonderful feeling in the world but it's not life-stopping either (IMO). It's just something to get through...things could be worse.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I second this question. For two days of my cycle I feel like the biggest blob in the world. No matter how much my husband repeats that I look the same as normal my eyes see The Blob.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    If bloat is so bad don't leave house you need to see a doctor be that a gyno to deal with unusual bloat or a psychiatrist to deal with body image issues.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Yep, today I am 2lb up from yesterday. I feel "fat". It'll pass.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Eh, it happens (as you can see!). The post that @Kepplekakes linked is great!

Also, you mention not using salt at all. How much sodium do you get daily? I ask this as sodium is a part of electrolyte group.