Snacking after dinner.

This is sabotaging my weight loss. Anyone else struggle in this area and if so any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My downfall is wanting salty crunchy snacks.

Replies

• mandalunia
    mandalunia Posts: 128 Member
    I have been trying two things because this is my downfall. First I save my last walk of the day for after dinner. sometimes if I can walk for an hour I run out of time before bed time to snack. Also I try to brush my teeth right after dinner because eating after brushing your teeth is kind of gross.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    I save 200 calories for something once the kids go to sleep (usually a protein bar). I have had no problem losing weight this way, meal timing means nothing for weight loss.
  • millcreekr
    millcreekr Posts: 25 Member
    I make a cup of tea and have either a Special K cranberry-nut bar (150 calories) or a Del Monte sugar free red grapefruit cup (60 calories). Sometimes I'm just too full from dinner to have a snack.
  • millcreekr
    millcreekr Posts: 25 Member
    Also, if you want something salty/crunchy, Safeway makes a good (Signature brand) gluten free sesame rice cracker only 65 calories for 8 and then add a wedge or two of Laughing Cow low fat spread, 35 calories per wedge.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    I eat a 100 calorie bag of popcorn or some ice cream every night. Sometimes both! Lost 70+ before getting pregnant, almost back to prepregancy weight again. I buy either Weight Watchers giant fudgecicles, skinny cow ice creams, or walmart has these little ice cream cups like the ones that you used to get excited about when you were a kid (with the wood spoon, anyone?) for 100 calories. The birthday cake one is LIFE.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Adding: I REALLY like popcorn for a nightly snack because it's versatile if you air pop it, and you can eat a boatload for not many calories. It satisfies that urge to nom.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    My fiance gets up at about 7:30 and makes us a cuppa, then sits down in front of the tv and eats nuts, biscuits, chips, lollies, all sorts of rubbish. I used to as well. Now, I skip breakfast, and have about 300 calories left over for after dinner. I've been doing this for the whole time I've been trying to lose weight and I've lost 90lb. You need to eat in a way that fits your life and doesn't leave you feeling like you're missing out, or you won't stick to it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I pre-log my day to have an extra 200 calories after dinner.

Like the poster above said, air popped popcorn. All you need is a brown paper lunch bag. Weigh out your kernels, put them in the bag, put it in the microwave.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Snacking after dinner is my downfall, too. If I am feeling "strong" mentally and have a few calories to spare I have ONE snack...air popped pocorn is great, as is homemade banana-peanut butter-oatmeal-cranberry-chocolate chip cookies. The cookies let me enjoy something sweet while also being more filling than store bought. If I'm not feeling strong, or I'm out of calories, I can't sit and watch TV because that's a trigger for me. I have to go do something that distracts me. I like taking a bath and then getting into bed and reading. Once I'm in bed with teetb brushed and flossed it's easier to stay there than to get up, go eat, and then brush and floss again.
  • karenzehob
    karenzehob Posts: 87 Member
    I'll either have a cup of tea or some skinnypop helps. Satisfies that craving for a salty snack and you get quite a hefty serving for only 150 calories (I like the white cheddar flavor)
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    I agree with the saving calories idea. It's important to play around with your snacks though and find something satisfying. For me, salty snacks are rough. I love chips, but even if I try to choose low calorie chips (low fat cheez its, good thins, rice cakes, etc.), ~200 calories of chips is not satisfying and I always want more. So it can be a double-edged sword. I agree with the recommendation of popcorn. It works for me because even if my portion is a little too big, I can't so as much "damage" because it's so low calorie.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    My mom is diabetic and needs to have a "second supper" just before bedtime, around midnight, or her blood sugar crashes terribly. I actually call it "second supper" and treat it just like a meal, making sure she gets a balance of nutrients rather than some junk food. We specifically save calories (250-450 every day) for this "second supper" by portion control throughout the day.