Options
Spiyce
Spiyce Posts: 33 Member
Have a looksie

Replies

• Spiyce
    Options
    I got a double yolk, and I really don't know what to log it as.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Aw twins! Interesting conundrum! Since most of the fat and calories come from the yolks, I'd probably log it at 2, or maybe 1.5.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Double yolker!
  • Spiyce
    Options
    You got a two for one egg? Nice although morbidly I'm thinking about you eating twins. I'd probably log it as two since the bulk of your calories come from the yolk.

I hadn't thought of that till now.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Spiyce wrote: »
    You got a two for one egg? Nice although morbidly I'm thinking about you eating twins. I'd probably log it as two since the bulk of your calories come from the yolk.

I hadn't thought of that till now.

Sorry uhhh....enjoy!
  • waltdarby_cb
    waltdarby_cb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just use 1 egg, whole and 1 egg yoke ??
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Zengrizzly wrote: »
    Actually, the clear part becomes the chicken. The yolk is actually the food they ingest while in the egg. ;)

Because I'm a nerd, and this made me curious, I googled.

"When two chicks hatch from the same egg, the egg usually has two yolks. Usually, one embryo out competes the other and only one chick survives to hatch. Many time both embryos die before hatching. We have no knowledge of Siamese twin chicks ever being hatched." http://extension.psu.edu/4-h/projects/poultry/embryology/teacher-resources/faqs

b3hg2uhsb1t7.jpg

• Spiyce
    Options
    So technically this is one egg plus a yolk? If they were twins, I'm guessing it was two eggs in one shell.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'd put in as two since most of the calories reside in the yolk.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Weigh it in grams, and log it as USDA Large Egg.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Zengrizzly wrote: »
    Actually, the clear part becomes the chicken. The yolk is actually the food they ingest while in the egg. ;)

The blastodisc becomes a chicken if it gets fertilized. The blastodisc is inside the small white thing that is attached to the yolk of the egg and after it is fertilized it is called a blastoderm.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I think I'd use 1.5 since you probably got less egg white and usually double yolks are smaller than when you get one. But if it happens again, you could separate the yolks and white and weigh them. Then enter them separately.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    If you buy jumbo eggs all the time you will see doubles from time to time. If you look in the database, there's more than one entry for "jumbo double yolk egg." Hmmm, 90kcals, pretty good deal.
  • fallingwave
    fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes- the white is only about 17 of the 70 calories I believe.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I tend to log it as 2, because the vast majority of the calories and macros are in the yolk.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I learned so much today
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Meh, it would only be twins if it were fertilized. In reality, it's just a heavy period.

.... you're welcome ;)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Weigh it in grams, and log it as USDA Large Egg.

I agree with this.