Beginning of a New Chapter

Options
I'm new to this site and new to the dieting concept in general. I always told myself that if I ever topped 200 lbs. I'd do something about it. Well a few days ago I weighed in and wouldn't you know, I topped 200..... so here I am. Any friends and/or suggestions are welcome because I'll need all the support I can get. I have no clue what I'm doing but I'm gonna give it hell, lol.

Replies

• gmccool9552
    gmccool9552 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Start with low calorie diet and lots of water. Good luck
  • risberg96
    risberg96 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You got this!!!
  • GirlGettingFit37
    GirlGettingFit37 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! You have come to the right place to start. My suggestion to you would be to track and measure all your food. Start taking a walk every day to ease into a routine. Feel free to add me as a friend and I will help motivate you along the way.
  • MystikFix
    MystikFix Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on what my daily intake goal should be just starting out?
  • WildAngelJoy
    WildAngelJoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Welcome and MFP does work!! I lost 20 lbs. in 2012 but gained it back plus more due to a medication so I am back. Tracking your food/calories and portions really helps as many times what we think are certain size portions measure out much differently!! Add exercise, too...find something you enjoy (I walk, use dance tapes and have started gardening). Don't forget at least 8 glasses of water! Feel free to add me, you can do this and it is more fun with friends :)
  • WildAngelJoy
    WildAngelJoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    As for daily intake, I don't know but if you go under your "goal" and fill in the information it will give a suggestion of the amount of calories and how much you will lose per week. You can adjust if you want to take it slower or faster, just do it healthy!! I hope that helps :)
  • melinajames
    melinajames Posts: 12 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    Your daily intake depends on a number of factors (weight , height, age , lifestyle).You might wanna start and keep track of your carbs, fats and protein intake . Portions are also important. The key is to eat healthy and not starve yourself.
    Start by cutting off all of the unhealthy / processed food. Also , if the time allows you, start making your meals at home so you have control over the ingredients.
  • NurseWandaMT
    NurseWandaMT Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Congrats on taking charge of your own health! As others said, pay close attention to your portion sizes; and - I would add, your liquid calories. Orange juice, sweet tea, coffee, beer, booze - that stuff adds up quick.

I have had very good luck losing weight by making sure I choose high-protein foods and that I get plenty of good fats in my diet. I'm not doing super-low carb; but I do try to make sure my carbs are not empty. I choose whole grain carbs with good protein content. Getting lots of protein and fat in my diet means I don't walk around hungry.