If You Are Going To Buy a HRM - THEN READ THIS PLEASE!!!!

Options

Replies

• cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Actually, the whole idea for posting that was that people make an informed decision when getting a HRM so they get accurate calorie count when exercising! That was all :flowerforyou:
    If you are looking to invest in a HRM minus will invest in an accurate one no?

I saved up and got a FT60 and it calculates the Vo2max as mentioned in the article! In any case, like others mentioned, you're better off going by any HRM than the machine!

YES!!! Sorry if I didn't suggest that - I really LOVE this article :) I'm currently saving for the FT60 actually - so you like it? :)

Thanks again for the post!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Actually, the whole idea for posting that was that people make an informed decision when getting a HRM so they get accurate calorie count when exercising! That was all :flowerforyou:
    If you are looking to invest in a HRM minus will invest in an accurate one no?

I saved up and got a FT60 and it calculates the Vo2max as mentioned in the article! In any case, like others mentioned, you're better off going by any HRM than the machine!

YES!!! Sorry if I didn't suggest that - I really LOVE this article :) I'm currently saving for the FT60 actually - so you like it? :)

Thanks again for the post!

Yes, I love it :happy: I highly recommend it!
  • Victorian131
    Victorian131 Posts: 130
    Options
    Yeah, as an uber newbie, this was a lot of helpful but mind boggling info that made my heart sink whilst reading. I bought a crivit hrm a few weeks ago and was suprised when it told me I was burning more calories than MFP calculations, especially in exercises like running/jogging, walking etc was about the same. I assumed this was because I am hilariously unfit for my height and weight, less so now I have been exercising a lot (its a lot harder to get the calorie count to go up these days which I assumed was a good thing) My HRM has a chest strap and actually everything on the list apart from the VO2max etc.
    I'm feeling really naive in just taking as gospel what the calorie (and fat count as my HRM also does this) says and eating accordingly regardless of what MFP calorie counter said.
    Thank you for the post though, really good advice for someone who hasn't fallen into the trap I have already :smile:
    Vic x
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    That's how I took it. However with that much info a newbie can be scared off. Thanks for the information. It looks like my FT7 is lacking in only the VO2 max input.

Actually the FT7 is the replacement for the F6 thats mentioned in the article.. so in a way it uses Vo2max(I believe!) but I can't say 100%.
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Bump

Wow definately going to have to re-read that to make sure I understand it lol.

BTW thanks :wink:
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    That's how I took it. However with that much info a newbie can be scared off. Thanks for the information. It looks like my FT7 is lacking in only the VO2 max input.

Actually the FT7 is the replacement for the F6 thats mentioned in the article.. so in a way it uses Vo2max(I believe!) but I can't say 100%.
    OH, I WILL LOVE YOU 'TIL DEATH if that is true (as he takes his FT7 out of the garbage can):wink::love:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what are the sources for this information? I'm not trying to discount the original writer's expertise out of hand, I'd just like to know more about his/her background. People have vastly differing opinions on all matters regarding health and fitness, so I always like to know more about the background of a writer.

Personally, I'm inclined to think I'm getting pretty accurate numbers (if not a bit on the low side) from my heart rate monitor. Why do I think that? Because I'm losing weight, and probably faster than my 'on paper' numbers indicate I should be.

Also, my HRM lets me see fitness information beyond the calorie burn estimate. I can see that my resting heart rate is lower now than it was 3 months ago. I also know that I have to work a lot harder now to get my heartrate up into my training zone as I've become more fit. I like having information like that, and I think my HRM is a handy tool.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what are the sources for this information? I'm not trying to discount the original writer's expertise out of hand, I'd just like to know more about his/her background. People have vastly differing opinions on all matters regarding health and fitness, so I always like to know more about the background of a writer.

Personally, I'm inclined to think I'm getting pretty accurate numbers (if not a bit on the low side) from my heart rate monitor. Why do I think that? Because I'm losing weight, and probably faster than my 'on paper' numbers indicate I should be.

Also, my HRM lets me see fitness information beyond the calorie burn estimate. I can see that my resting heart rate is lower now than it was 3 months ago. I also know that I have to work a lot harder now to get my heartrate up into my training zone as I've become more fit. I like having information like that, and I think my HRM is a handy tool.

Here's the original link to the blog post..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

The member who wrote it, his name is Azdak. I've seen other posts by him on this matter, and they all make sense.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options

You should check out his bio on his page. He's actually legit.
  • DietPep1978
    DietPep1978 Posts: 202
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I have a Polar FT7 and LOVE IT! I bought it because it had great reviews.

I was tired of getting such different readings from websites, the machines, mfp for the same exercises! I wanted to know what I was REALLY burning. I figured a HRM wouldn't be dead on but it would be a lot more accurate than what I was using.

Thanks again for the post and info, I do find it very interesting!
  • kapeluza
    Options
    Like others just mentioned : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

If you visit the Polar website and look up specifications for HRM they also have detail descriptions of their HRMs and their functions. I would recommend looking into those specs for further information.
  • kapeluza
    Options

Sources are as mentioned previous : Polar HRM specifications and the link of the author I provided. Also, no one is saying that you should go out and buy another one. I am simply providing this accurate information for people who keep asking the same questions over and over again. This author made it pretty clear and concise/easy to understand. If you are happy with your HRM, good for you.
  • Heather3186
    Options
    great info! thanks!
  • kapeluza
    Options
    bump
  • kapeluza
    Options
    bump encouraging others to get a HRM!
  • kapeluza
    Options
    bump
  • erniemj
    erniemj Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Question for those who are touting the higher end models - have you actually gauged them vs. the lower Polar Models (like the F6/FT7) - I am curious, if we are going for accuracy, how much of a difference do you get when wearing the different models doing a similar exercise at a similar exertion - or could you wear both HRM at the same time and test them against each other? I have an FT7, and I really like it, to me, I think it works, at least for a "guide" to calories burned, it seems to be working for me like another posted stated...even if it is not perfectly accurate...hope I am making sense...
  • vaston
    vaston Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with erniemj. I would like to see some hard data about this. If you can prove to me that the kcal difference is SIGNIFICANT then maybe I would consider a higher end HRM. Show me that, by including the V02 my calorie burn, it is >10% more accurate. If I burn 500 kcal during a 60 min workout according to my FT7, but in reality only burned 480 kcal, how is that going to alter my day? What if I actually burned 530 kcal? If I am consistently under my daily calorie goal for losing weight, 20 kcal of inaccuracy isn't going to make that much of a difference. Not to mention the fact that I have a VERY hard time believing calorie counts on food containers. Why do all calorie counts end in 0? You are telling me that you know for sure that a tablespoon of peanut butter is exactly 200 kcal, not 208 or 196? The drive for accuracy may not be as exact as some would like, but +/- 30-40 kcal/day isn't really that big of a deal. I think you have great information here, but for the general public a lower end HRM with calorie counter is a GREAT place to start. It gets the job done.
  • vaston
    vaston Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump?