How many days a week should I do weights?

Options
melpidal
melpidal Posts: 34 Member
Trying to lose weight is my main goal. I'm aiming at 45 minutes of cardio, 5 xs a week. Would like to add in weights-mostly arms since I'm hitting my legs pretty hard on the treadmill? How many days a week should I aim to do weights? And should I focus more on repetitions and lighter weights or the reverse? Thanks in advance for your help! There's so much conflicting info out there!!!!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Lots of reps, low weights, it is mainly cardio. As long as your cardio has some resistance element in it, for health reasons and general fitness, that might be all you need. If you have specific goals regarding strength or physical appearance, then you might need to actually lift heavier (and so lower the reps). In this case, unless you are a sprinter, you will also need to work your legs, running is not a replacement for strength training.
  • melpidal
    Options
    I'm running/walking, so no resistance to my cardio. I guess you're right that the treadmill isn't a replacement for leg-work. Thanks!!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is not a leg substitute
    Follow an established full body strength program using compound lifts 2-3 days per week. Depending on the program you may vary your rep ranges. I would keep in the 5-15 rep range
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    "1. Your program will be based on 4 exercises: squat, bench press, deadlift and the press.

2. You will train in the weight room 2-4 days/week." - Jim Wendler

That said, find a good program. The treadmill isn't "hitting your legs hard" from an anaerobic/strength standpoint.
  • melpidal
    Options
    @Lizarking how do I find such a good program?
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    melpidal wrote: »
    @Lizarking how do I find such a good program?

depends on your goals, but common ones suggested here are, for example:
    new rules of lifting
    starting strength
    all-pro simple beginner routine (google it)