Apple Watch Band... does it cause rashes like Fitbit? What don't you like about it?

Options
HealthierRayne
HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I tried searching for the first part of my topic, to see if it was already posted and wasn't able to find anything. Hoping you lovely mfp people might be able to help!

I'm considering getting an Apple Watch but I am a bit worried I will react like I did with my Fitbit Charge HR. I get a seriously nasty rash from the Fitbit wrist strap. Anyone have any issues with that from their Apple Watch ?

Also what do you dislike most? I know many people recommend other trackers, I'm curious where Apple falls flat most often for people why they choose other options.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I like everything about my AW. The sport band has never given me any trouble.
  • Ademann1
    Ademann1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love my AW. I got a mild rash from the sport band but the regular white band has been fine. And it doesn't seem any less comfortable while running or lifting.

I have never used another tracker, but the super customizable watchface is amazing for me. I have my activity circles, date, workout, and even calendar reminders right there on the face. It has been a gamechanger for me and I've lost 20 pounds since I got it at Christmas.

I'm a dork and really like the little awards and achievements you can earn for activity. It soothes my inner achiever.

I have a love-hate relationship with the green activity circle. Basically you have to get your heart rate up to a certain level if you want to get credit for your daily 30 minutes of green circle exercise. So usually lifting and yoga don't get me there. Thus, I've turned to running more to get my circles completed. I hate that Apple gets to dictate what counts and what doesn't. BUUUUT this is the first time in my adult life I've lost weight on purpose, so something must be working.
  • jakes2011
    jakes2011 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I got a rash with both my Fitbit & my AW sportband. I've switched to the woven nylon band and haven't had the same problem. I did get a nasty blistering under the watch itself (people have complained of burns!) - I think an app I used made it run overly hot. I switched wrists for a bit & haven't seen it again. I've been having problems with activity sharing (it's just not working) & spent an 1.5 hours on with tech support to no avail. Even with all of that, I still like it (I'm not as gushy/loving it as I first was). I love the notifications, controlling music, and quick lookups for things. It works well with all my other Apple products!
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input! @jakes2011 @Ademann1 @MelanieCN77
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I originally had an UP by jawbone and that band broke me out something serious. I now have a fitbit that my lovely boyfriend bought me for Christmas and it hasn't broke me out yet.

I would like to get an AW only bc I have the iPhone tbh and I think they look nicer.
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Can you go into the fitness app and record a workout as other to get the minutes to goal? I have never tried that but I know that even if I am at a slower walk with a lower heart rate I feel like it still records the minutes.
    Ademann1 wrote: »
    I love my AW. I got a mild rash from the sport band but the regular white band has been fine. And it doesn't seem any less comfortable while running or lifting.

I have never used another tracker, but the super customizable watchface is amazing for me. I have my activity circles, date, workout, and even calendar reminders right there on the face. It has been a gamechanger for me and I've lost 20 pounds since I got it at Christmas.

I'm a dork and really like the little awards and achievements you can earn for activity. It soothes my inner achiever.

I have a love-hate relationship with the green activity circle. Basically you have to get your heart rate up to a certain level if you want to get credit for your daily 30 minutes of green circle exercise. So usually lifting and yoga don't get me there. Thus, I've turned to running more to get my circles completed. I hate that Apple gets to dictate what counts and what doesn't. BUUUUT this is the first time in my adult life I've lost weight on purpose, so something must be working.

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    what about smell from sweating? Does that linger?
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »

The sports band is not fabric.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    Options

Yep, I know. So does the smell linger with large amounts of sweat? I'm a distance runner so that would be a deal breaker for me.
  • joeboo81
    joeboo81 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    After about a year with my AW, the sports band begin to smell. Nothing so bad that others could smell it, but if I put my nose to it, there was a stench. However, a good cleaning and it was gone.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    Options
    joeboo81 wrote: »
    After about a year with my AW, the sports band begin to smell. Nothing so bad that others could smell it, but if I put my nose to it, there was a stench. However, a good cleaning and it was gone.

thanks!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed a problem with my band smelling -- I also do distance/half marathons. That could be helped by the fact that I also swim with it, though, so it's getting a regular dose of chlorine. But at any rate, not a problem I'd considered or noticed.
  • rebekahchrismon
    rebekahchrismon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love my apple watch!! I do notice more irritation with after market bands from amazon than I did with the real apple band, but that's my own fault for being cheap lol
    When I get too sweaty my skin gets a little itchy, but some baby powder and an alcohol wipe down fixes everything.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options

Yep, I know. So does the smell linger with large amounts of sweat? I'm a distance runner so that would be a deal breaker for me.

I played roller derby in mine for a year and no smell at all for me. My other gear definitely gets a whiff but I noticed nothing from my sports band. I would rinse it off at bedtime or after I'd been super sweaty though.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys re: odor! Good info.