Does eating bread make you gain weight?

Options
In a day I probably have around 5 slices of bread which equates to around 500 calories. Is eating this much bread bad if I want to lose weight. My calories are already in a deficit even if i eat this amount of bread

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Not if you're in a calorie deficit. It may cause some bloating if you're sensitive to certain ingredients but that is water weight, not fat gain.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nope.

eating more calories than you need makes you gain weight.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    No. You will lose weight if you are on a deficit, no matter what you eat.

What you want to consider is how much room is bread leaving in your calorie budget for the good stuff your body needs, like protein and fats. And I'm sure bread is not the only carb you are eating.

So being on a deficit is first step. Good job if you are staying under.
    If you want to take it a step further, then you watch how​ you are feeding your body, and make sure you feed it right.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    No but the calories it has have to be considered.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    It's not bad, as no food is inherently bad. Calories are ultimately what matters for weight loss.

Health on the other hand will come from a varied diet of mostly nutrient dense food - proteins, good fats and a broad range of micronutrients (a lot that would come from sufficient vegetables and fruit). Eating so much bread will likely take up calories that you should be using on other things to maintain a healthy body.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    for a little context, here is OP's other thread from today:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/39589776#Comment_39589776
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Not if you're in a deficit.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @ilovefood9998 Eliminating 4000 calories of soda per week should lead directly to the loss of 1 lb per week.
    As a young woman, you'll experience monthly fluctuations and cycles of water retention and release which will make it difficult to notice weight loss on a scale. Just be sure that you don't replace those lost calories with extra servings of pizza, curry, and bread. And ask your parents to supply you with a multivitamin.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens when you hit the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. What you eat to make up your calorie intake doesn't matter though.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    for a little context, here is OP's other thread from today:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/39589776#Comment_39589776

Ah. OP - you could lose weight on nothing but soda and bread, if you were in a calorie deficit. I don't recommend it, however.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    @ilovefood9998 Eliminating 4000 calories of soda per week should lead directly to the loss of 1 lb per week.
    As a young woman, you'll experience monthly fluctuations and cycles of water retention and release which will make it difficult to notice weight loss on a scale. Just be sure that you don't replace those lost calories with extra servings of pizza, curry, and bread. And ask your parents to supply you with a multivitamin.

I think OP is male according to a previous post
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    @jeromebarry1 OP is listed as male in profile
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

Oh. Delete the line about monthly fluctuations.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself, if I eat 500 calories of bread, it will be much harder to stick to my deficit because I will get hangry.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

Oh. Delete the line about monthly fluctuations.

Yes!!! Only us females get to use that!
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    As long as your in a deficit you will lose weight. I ate plenty of bread this weekend, and had an amazing ice cream cone on my walk with my husband last night and I still got on the scale and was 1 lb lighter! I just ate a deficit, you really can eat whatever you want, you just need to be mindful of portions and stay in your calorie range!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I found 35 calorie bread and it's actually good! **If you are worried about the calories. I love bread! Although I don't truly eat it daily.