48-hour water fast

Options
I am hoping to lose about 20-30 lbs in 2 months using a 48-hour water fast schedule. I've done a few successful 24-hour water fasts before, but not in a schedule. I'm just wondering if anyone has a good schedule for on and off 48-hour water fasts to lose 20-30 lbs in just 2 months?

Like, should I complete the 48 hours then lightly eat again for 2-3 days then go straight back into another 48 hour fast and keep doing this for 2 months? What's a proper way to do this to ensure I'm losing fat instead of just water weight and especially not muscle? I'm not a very active person as I work from home so I mostly sit down all day but do 2 days a week of 10 minute light strength workouts at home just to have at least something.

Replies

• CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You WILL lose muscle if you do not eat protein. Just use the goals that MFP sets for you and lose weight the right way. It will teach you how to eat so you can maintain your weight loss forever, instead of having to starve yourself every couple of months.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you're on a schedule of 48 hour fast followed by 2-3 days of lightly eating, you can bet your bippy you'll be losing muscle.

If you want to do intermittent fasting, you need to ensure that the days you are not fasting you are eating sufficient calories to sustain you nutritionally and to not create too big an overall deficit.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    No!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to put your body under such enormous stress?!
    Have some respect for it!
  • hyungwonteo
    hyungwonteo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're on a schedule of 48 hour fast followed by 2-3 days of lightly eating, you can bet your bippy you'll be losing muscle.

If you want to do intermittent fasting, you need to ensure that the days you are not fasting you are eating sufficient calories to sustain you nutritionally and to not create too big an overall deficit.

Thank you so much! This is very helpful and I will be sure that the days I am not fasting that I am taking in the required amount of calories and protein. And of course getting in a few 10-20 minute workouts during those days as well to at least help not lose too much muscle then?
  • hyungwonteo
    hyungwonteo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Everyone, thank you for concerns and I know intermittent fasting is not the ideal or healthiest way to lose weight, but I'm looking for something short-term to keep off any extra pounds so I'd appreciate that instead of telling me simply not to do it, that I'm given tips on how to properly and effectively do this, please.
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Everyone, thank you for concerns and I know intermittent fasting is not the ideal or healthiest way to lose weight, but I'm looking for something short-term to keep off any extra pounds so I'd appreciate that instead of telling me simply not to do it, that I'm given tips on how to properly and effectively do this, please.

You weren't describing IF though.
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Or if you were, you may want to do a little more research on IF before beginning. There are lots of people here who do IF and many threads on the topic.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for something short-term to keep off any extra pounds so I'd appreciate that instead of telling me simply not to do it, that I'm given tips on how to properly and effectively do this, please.

Health is long-term, as should diet and fitness be.

• CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options

You weren't describing IF though.

This exactly.

Plus, "just looking for something short-term" will always fail in the end. You'll be right back where you started after your "short term."
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    ADF is a more sensible approach than you starvation plan.

2 days "fasting", 5 days at maintenance.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    You WILL lose muscle if you do not eat protein. Just use the goals that MFP sets for you and lose weight the right way. It will teach you how to eat so you can maintain your weight loss forever, instead of having to starve yourself every couple of months.

Probably not going to go catabolic in 2 days but it is a *kitten* plan for what that's worth. If you have the self control for 2 days of no food you have the self control for a modest deficit OP... you're setting yourself up for a nasty restrict-binge cycle. You don't have a WHOLE lot of weight to lose, just pull up your socks and do it right once.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options

I'm all for intermittent fasting, but fasting for 48 hours, eating lightly for 3 days and then fasting again, and repeating the process for months is not intermittent fasting, it's starving yourself.
    No one can give you tips on how to do it properly or effective because it's simply not a proper or effective idea.
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Like others mentioned what you're doing is not intermittent fasting at all. Please learn more about IF before this starvation method you're trying.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found in our Eating Disorder Resources page.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    JustSomeEm
This discussion has been closed.