Does Instagram motivate or demotivate you?

Options
This is for all the people who are trying to/have lost weight.

I find it difficult and demotivating when I keep seeing people with amazing bodies showing themselves off on Instagram or Facebook. Of course, they've worked hard to get there and I really commend them for it. But as someone who is on a fitness journey, which is never a straight path there are always ups and downs, I sometimes feel like I'll never get there or look as good. Particularly when I'm not seeing the progress as I want to.

Do you agree? Do you think it's better if I follow people a similar size to me on their journey for motivation?

Thanks!

Replies

• Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to keep it in perspective.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I enjoy following people who are "farther ahead" than me. I follow a lot of bodybuilders, as well as extremely strong power lifters. I kind of enjoy the feeling of being humbled and knowing that I have a lot of work to do before I can be at that level, and I'm ok with that because that's what it will take if I want to be there myself.

When I follow people closer to where I'm at it can feel like more of a competition sometimes (not always, but the thought can cross my mind... I also enjoy supporting others and having friends with similar interests, so, yeah). If we are close in strength or body weight it can be too easy to want to compare - they lost more weight than me last month, they lifted more weight. Looking at people much farther ahead reminds me to stop being petty haha.

I also find that competitors are very motivated to continue improving. While we may feel that we'll never be "on that level", they're still working just as hard to continue to improve. Many are simply trying to beat their former selves, and I think that's a great message to take from them.
  • EricExtreme
    EricExtreme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't compare yourself to anyone else. Use what you see as an eventual goal and not a current failure. I am currently using old pics of myself when I was a model for muscle and fitness magazine as motivation (I has a many year long reoccurring health issue that put a quick stop to my working out and clean eating) to get myself back to where I once was. Use the photos you find as inspiration... a goal to work towards... not as a disappointment that you aren't there yet. Use it as afterburner for your throttle and not as a roadblock in the way. Keep the glass half full instead of half empty. It's all in how you choose to perceive things. Choose to use them in a positive light :)
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I find it inspiring and I love what they share to help.
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Inspiring!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    A bit of both.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how you look at it. I follow a lot of NPC bikini competitors because I enjoy looking at their progress on season and off season. I gain some nifty tips and recipes and new exercises for different parts of my body. I don't think I'll ever look just like them because I'm not them. Most of them are 20 years younger, have different life styles than me and most have not had their stomachs cut open twice. I try not to compare myself too much to others because everyone is different. I compete with myself in that I challenge myself a little more each day.
    **There are also people whom I see at my gym who motivate me without even speaking to me. -The guy in the wheel chair who comes in weekly and does pull ups and other upper body. -The women who look self conscious to be in there but keep coming back. -The fathers bringing in their teenage sons and daughters and teaching them how to use the equipment. etc...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Neither. I follow a handful of people. Since I'm not them, rather I'm quite different from them, I don't worry too much about comparing myself to them. I'm happy for them when they accomplish things, while doing my best to improve myself.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    The diet/fitness board I follow on FB has some brave souls who post work in progress pics. Those are the best.

But just the same, the people who have done the work to get those fitness model bods are also deserving of support. And I'm certainly never going to be one of them, I've chosen a different route.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Neither.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    IG is mostly a highlight reel. I say mostly because there are a few fitness people I follow who are very open with how they look in everyday life (i.e. unfiltered, unposed) or, for the lifters, that failure is common and not every lift is a PR. It's important to keep that in mind when you're looking at someone's competition six pack or 400# deadlift.

TL;DR: neither.
  • GordjVeel
    GordjVeel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, very helpful link!
  • lessjess22
    lessjess22 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When you're on Instagram, it's important to remember that a lot of what you're seeing isn't real, and most of the people you see don't look like that in reality. The vast majority of models and fitness influencers use filters. Filters can do amazing things and you can even apply filters seamlessly to video. You are also seeing the effects of makeup and cosmetic procedures. The lengths that some influencers will go to to alter their appearance or look wealthy is unbelievable.

No one should feel bad for not being able to look like people they see on Instagram because a lot of the time it's not even physically possible. It doesn't bother me that I don't look like that, and I honestly feel kind of bad for those people that they spend so much time putting a smoke and mirrors version of themselves on the internet.

There are people that are more "real' that you can follow. I don't use Instagram much but I do love to read success stories on MFP and other sites. I prefer to be inspired by "normal" people who don't filter out their imperfections and who are losing weight while working full time and/or raising kids and living a full life. I can relate to that a lot more.
  • GordjVeel
    GordjVeel Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    GordjVeel wrote: »
    Wow, very helpful link!

It seems to me that everything that we see on Instagram cannot be taken as reality. All the stars on Instagram are the same ordinary people as we are, they also have ups and downs, just not everyone talks about them. This is sad. I would recommend that you divide everything that you see in Instagram by two. Recently, a friend of mine showed me one site to increase instagram followers and told me that many Instagram stars wind up their audience on this site. So better unsubscribe from all fitness trainers, calmly improve your body, and not pay attention to anyone.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    The research is pretty clear that Instagram use has negative outcomes for mental health. It's also pretty well known that the fitspo industry is fueled by extremely dangerous appearance and performance enhancing drugs (APEDs).

[Read for more info: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51112202-looks-can-kill]

So no, I don't subject myself to the known-to-be-negative impact of an endless stream of photos of bodies that are likely to have been achieved through the abuse of illegal drugs.

I don't need to look at photos of other people's bodies in order to be motivated to take good care of my own.

That would be like looking at photos of Ferraris to motivate myself to get an oil change for my Camry.