Water Retention......

Options
bikecheryl
bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
Can't figure this one out.... need some help.
I'm 58, female, 273 lbs.... started at 288 lbs 5 weeks ago.
I'm on 1500 calories/day - sticking to it really well (I'm seeing a dietitian)
I have severe osteoarthritis in both knees and am scheduled for a total knee replacement this coming winter.
I bike at least 5x per week.
I hope that gives enough background.... lol but will answer any question that may provide more clarity.
I still suffer from swollen ankles/water retention that will balloon my weight 3 lbs in a day with no dietary cause.
Does anyone know of a natural way to curb this?
Help !!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    3 lbs doesn't seem like much as far as a water fluctuation goes. But have you talked to your doctor to be sure that all is well?
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Do you drink enough water?
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert and definitely think you need to ask your doctor. In my experience, drinking a bunch of water has helped me. Oh, and watching sodium intake.

CONGRATS on your loss so far, keep it up!
  • EricaH7
    EricaH7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used to retain a lot of water, then I started taking my weight, dividing it by two and converting it into ounces and drinking that much water a day. For example If I weighed 150 pounds I would drink 75 ounces of water a day. Since I started drinking a lot of water consistently I no longer have huge water fluctuations because my body is consistently hydrated.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    More background & quick update:

I was really hoping for a big loss this week and everything was going fine till I stepped on the scale yesterday morning and saw I had gained 3 lbs.

Huh ????? That can't be right cause I have been seriously good. I didn't even cheat at my husbands retirement BBQ Saturday. I took a step back and noticed my legs, ankles & feet. Hmmmm... swollen. But again - I'm drinking lots of water and have cut my salt way down.

So I made a DR's appt and got in right away. Apparently a side effect of the medication I'm taking for my knees is water retention and swelling. Great, I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Ok, fine..... off Vomovo and on water pills & arthritis strength Tylenol (I threw in a few choice $%#%$ words for good measure). Looks like I'll be getting my step count traipsing back and forth to washroom.

I wonder how many lbs in a gallon of water. :blush:
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    The saving grace in all this is that water retention has zero to do with fat loss.