IIFYM or What method/plan do you follow? Just looking for options

Options
CassieR6
CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Good morning all! So I am wondering how many of you do the IIFYM? And how does it work for you? And what does your meal plan look like? If you don't do this method what do you do? I am torn. I am trying the IIFYM, but I am so clueless on a meal plan even though I know what my marcos should be I am still confused. Also if you are doing IIFYM, how do you track or add up your macros? I know you say a food scale is important. I have one. I know I probably sound really naive but I am just trying to learn. :)

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm bulking but it's relatively the same. When cutting your P should be at least .8 of your LBM.

Mine...
    One gram of P per lb of body weight.
    Roughly .4 X BW= fat grams

You can view.my diary, but it's pretty simple.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I do IIFYM.... My meal plan looks like whatever I make it to be, that's the beauty of it. If I want a massive, calorific dinner and dessert, it's slim pickings the rest of the day.... Or evenly spread... Or I swap stuff for a bit of chocolate...
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    The best thing about IIFYM is that you can work with the foods you like to meet your macro goals. The ability to customize your eating plan with foods you like means that you should have an easier time sticking to a calorie goal.

I aim for 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense foods and 20% from treats. No food is off limits but treat foods get eaten in smaller portions or less often.

You might want to log your normal way of eating for a week or two so that you have some data. You can then look back through to see where you might adjust your portion size and/or make satisfying substitutions.
  • CassieR6
    Options
    Hmm I see. :#
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    CassieR6 wrote: »
    Hmm I see. :#

Find some pals with similar calorie goals and open diaries for inspiration
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I follow IIFYM with a daily calorie goal of 1550, add me if you like
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    I found just planning my meals to start with was a big help, I use Pinterest & some second hand cook books, for recipes that I can make that from ingredients I like. I've never restricted my meals by calorie amount, but that's because I've been doing MFP for so many years that I know what most of my recipes are calorifically, if you're not a that point you can split you calories for the day by meal and search for "x calorie recipes" or meal ideas.

I plan in my breakfasts first because these rarely change - I normally have powdered greens with orange juice and a bowl of weetabix with a little fruit during the week. On a weekend I will normally have poached eggs and pancetta on toast for Brunch (I skip breakfast to give myself a bit of a cushion for a couple of pints and some bar food).

Then I will plan my lunches for weekdays, usually pasta/soup/wrap/leftovers from previous weeks batch cooked dinner. I prep the soups and pastas on a Sunday.

I normally plan a batch cooked dinner on a Sunday night that I can use during the week for 2-3 nights such as Chilli, Curry, Strogonoff, Falafel, Fishcakes, etc. Then have Chicken & Veg the weekday nights in between.

Friday nights if I have nothing planned I might make myself some sort of Fakeaway.

I pre-portion snacks into little tupperware tubs that vary from 100-170 calories and throw a couple of these into my packed lunch during the week.

I pre-log my food a day or two in advance in my MFP diary.

The other bonus I've found from this method, is cost saving, I only buy what I need for the following week or two's plan and don't end up throwing a bunch of fresh stuff out that seemed like a good idea but I didn't end up eating.

DISCLAIMER: not saying this will work for you, it's just what I find has worked for me.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I do calorie counting and loosely IIFYM aka I kind of stink at meeting my macro targets but I try to get close most of the time. When I get back to weight lifting (injury sucks) I will be more proactive about meeting protein goals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    I may attention to macros but am not formally doing IIFYM.

I started with what I normally ate and removed or reduced foods that provided a lot of calories for little satiety. I've learned that protein and fiber fill me up, but fast carbs do not. So I eat less bread and pasta, and more protein and veggies. I reduced baked goods, and increased fruit. I get plenty of sweetness from fruit, for a lot less calories.
  • CassieR6
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you all so far.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    IIFYM - approx. 1300 calories per day - even spread of protein/carbs/fat - 35/30/30 - and I eat clean / follow a competition diet meaning lean chicken, turkey, beef and fish and leafy greens, limited raw oats, brown rice, sweet potato, limited healthy fats (nuts / avocado) Low/no sodium, ACV and/or rice vinegar for dressings, plenty of fresh herbs and spices, no sugar, no fruit, a good whey protein supplement along with glutamine, carnitine, creatine and aminos. Papaya enzyme as a pro-biotic.

I like IIFYM because I can eat what I want as long as it fits in, great for weight loss. Right now I am being overly strict because I am on a lean to clean bulk :smile:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    IIFYM - approx. 1300 calories per day - even spread of protein/carbs/fat - 35/30/30 - and I eat clean / follow a competition diet meaning lean chicken, turkey, beef and fish and leafy greens, limited raw oats, brown rice, sweet potato, limited healthy fats (nuts / avocado) Low/no sodium, ACV and/or rice vinegar for dressings, plenty of fresh herbs and spices, no sugar, no fruit, a good whey protein supplement along with glutamine, carnitine, creatine and aminos. Papaya enzyme as a pro-biotic.

I like IIFYM because I can eat what I want as long as it fits in, great for weight loss. Right now I am being overly strict because I am on a lean to clean bulk :smile:

1300 cals is a bulk?
    .... It also sounds like you've cut out a lot of things, and have a restrictive diet...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

You are bulking on 1300? How tall are you? Or maybe I missed something
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    1300cal lean bulk... r u 4'6"?
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options

1300 cals is a bulk?
    .... It also sounds like you've cut out a lot of things, and have a restrictive diet...

Please read again... I said it's a lean to clean bulk.
    Traditional bulking is antiquated. We don't need to get fat to bulk...
    Anyway, it's totally 100% restrictive but only until show time. Then I'll reverse diet back.

And let's not hijack this persons original post. It was about IIFYM and diet plans I believe? Not me :smiley:

• BoxerBrawler
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

You are bulking on 1300? How tall are you? Or maybe I missed something

Please see above, thank you.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    1300cal lean bulk... r u 4'6"?

Please see above, thank you :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

1300 cals is a bulk?

Anyway, it's totally 100% restrictive but only until show time. Then I'll reverse diet back.

And let's not hijack this persons original post. It was about IIFYM and diet plans I believe? Not me :smiley:

Please can you start a new thread and explain what a lean to clean bulk is? (As you don't want to derail this one)
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options

1300 cals is a bulk?

Please can you start a new thread and explain what a lean to clean bulk is? (As you don't want to derail this one)

Sure! :smile: but give me some time so I can point to the right sources.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I work with a group of folks called Eat to Perform - they give me my macros and review them every two weeks, but figuring out what to eat that fits is more along the IIFYM - I aim for 80% whole/20% fun